Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to gain muscle, strength and power quickly. Interesting experiment. page

Misabi is online now Senior Member

How to gain muscle, strength and power quickly. Interesting experiment.

Primal Fuel
    Originally posted this in the nutrition forum, but probably the wrong place. May get more interest here.

Came across this the other day, and while you'd have to be either insane or a pro athlete who needs to pack on muscle or cut weight for competition, it's a pretty interesting read and would be of interest to anyone wanting to pack on some lean muscle. Especially any hard gainers out there who think they've "tried everything" and just can't put on muscle.

His diet is not strictly primal, but seems to mostly fall in that category as it's only really meat, veggies, bread, protein powder and a few supplements. So you should be able to replace the bread with primal carb sources, etc. for similar results should you choose to.

Obviously, this would be more manageable for most over a longer period of time, or a lower goal of muscle mass gain in the 28 day period. But even 10lbs of muscle in for weeks would be a good result for most.

The free pdf includes a breakdown of his diet and training for the 5 weeks, both of which are pretty in depth and worth a look if adding muscle is one of your goals.

Introduction
    I recently agreed to try a crazy experiment in the name of science and conquering boredom. The specifics: Gain as much weight as possible in 4 weeks, lose as much weight as possible in 5 days, and try to gain it all back in 24 hours.
    Click here read the Introduction.

Summary
    A quick, easily-digestible summary of what happened in my 34-day extreme weight manipulation experiment. I also introduce my coaches, Martin Rooney and Dr. John Berardi.
    Click here to get all the details.

Enjoy
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    As an x-wrestler I have no desire to try any of that stuff again.... 16 years worth was enough

But, I'm sure some people could gain some insight and a few nuggets out of it.

boomingno is offline Member
    Yeah... I certainly wouldn't go that crazy and try to do so much so fast, but I always love seeing stuff like this broken down, especially the menu. And for free! wheee

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I read that whole website. What a story! Now I understand why there are some people that Mark Rippetoe makes fun of for not trying hard enough to eat. I mean, I could have eaten like that guy for one week and put on 20lbs no problem--all fat of course, but I'm female so what do you expect. That he had to eat like that for a month and barely put on 20lbs is incredible to me.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    I only glanced the article and here's what I noticed:

• Skinny teenage kid at 145 lbs starts working out. Gains 40 lbs of lean body mass over the next couple of years and has a ripped 185 lbs beach body (I've seen the pictures).
    • The not-so-skinny now 27 year old online coach and author of fitness books decides to do an experiment in which he "gains" 17 lbs of lean body mass over the next 35 days.
    • Initial body weight = 169,6 lbs. Finishing body weight = 186,6 lbs.

Is this an article on water manipulation? Because he obviously dehydrated himself before the experiment (loss of 15,4 lbs) and got it all back over the next five weeks (gain of 17 lbs). If it's not about water manipulation, then surely radioactive spiders, gamma radiation or vita-rays must be involved.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    ^ Actually I was gonna point out that once your within 10-15lbs of your weight class your good to start wringing out the water for the last 48 hours or so prior to weight in. The higher your weight class the more water your holding and can wring out.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post

• Skinny teenage kid at 145 lbs starts working out. Gains 40 lbs of lean body mass over the next couple of years and has a ripped 185 lbs beach body (I've seen the pictures).
    • The not-so-skinny now 27 year old online coach and author of fitness books decides to do an experiment in which he "gains" 17 lbs of lean body mass over the next 35 days.
    • Initial body weight = 169,6 lbs. Finishing body weight = 186,6 lbs.

Is this an article on water manipulation? Because he obviously dehydrated himself before the experiment (loss of 15,4 lbs) and got it all back over the next five weeks (gain of 17 lbs). If it's not about water manipulation, then surely radioactive spiders, gamma radiation or vita-rays must be involved.
    Seriously? I feel duped now

Regardless, I can't believe he was able to eat so much food and still do those 'hurricane' sessions he describes. I would puke.

zilog is offline Senior Member
    Glad it's not just me. A guy who is already muscular/strong gains 20 lbs of muscle in just one month. Really?

belladabin is offline Junior Member
    me too, I can't believe he was able to eat so much food and still do those 'hurricane' sessions he describes.thanks for your sharing

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    He makes no secret that the crash weight loss is all about water manipulation. The aim was to mimic what a fighter has to go through to make a weigh in but actually weigh a heck of a lot more come fight time. The time between the mock pre-fight weigh in and the time he put the weight back on was 24 hrs. He shed the water in 5 days.

If you're saying that he had essentially already done the same leading up to the start of this experiment to make his start weight lower, and the mass gain easier, I have no comment as I don't know the author. If you've got proof backing up your statement I'd be interested in seeing it though, because that would suck.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast