Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RE: Crispy Carnitas .... OMG !!!

Shop Now
    Managed to cook some Carnitas as well
    Here's the outcome (sorry for using some local language in the description) => http://note.io/UsyHfN
    "...Primal or not primal - that is the question!"

------------------------------------
    Starting weight 85kg, 22% bodyfat (December 2012)
    Current weight 78kg, 15% bodyfat (March 2013)
    Desired weight 83-84kg , 7-8% bodyfat (May 2014 or sooner)

ok I made a variation on this; got marked-down bone-in pork chops for $2/lb total 3.5 lb, in my crockpot put sliced anaheim chiles in the bottom, made a rub of various spices (salt, pepper, parsley, cilantro, paprika, mustard, garlic powder, crushed bay leaves, fennel seed, caraway seed, cinnamon), made a slurry of the spices with some green chile paste and water, and coated both sides of all chops and just laid them in a layer in the crockpot and cooked on low all night. The meat shrinks as it cooks and releases a lot of water, and the chile peppers also release their water, so without adding any extra water there ends up being a lot of liquid in the pot after cooking. I ended up with four 2-cup servings of food from this experiment, including both solids and liquid.

HOWEVER I think I used too much cinnamon or it just isn't working for me, because there is something in the seasoning I really don't like and I'm pretty sure it's the cinnamon (might be the caraway or fennel but don't think so...). I used about 1/2 teaspoon, maybe a bit more. (As I didn't have a cinnamon stick just thought I would add ground cinnamon). Another recipe I found lists only 1/4 t per 4 lbs meat, which I think would be better if cinnamon must be included. Probably I will omit the cinnamon entirely next time, but I still think this is a good easy way to prepare an easy, tasty meal(s) with cheap pork. Even the cheapest ground beef is over $3 a pound now, and the really cheap 73% pretty much isn't even worth eating.

Shop Now
    I so agree! That carnitas recipe is amazingly yummy! I'm planning to make them again this weekend.