Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RE: Crispy Carnitas .... OMG !!! page 2

alexpanait is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    New here, hello everyone!

What would be the macro-nutrient breakdown for such a dish? Any brainstorming thoughts?
    (with the given ingredients quantities express in the recipe )
    "...Primal or not primal - that is the question!"

------------------------------------
    Starting weight 85kg, 22% bodyfat (December 2012)
    Current weight 78kg, 15% bodyfat (March 2013)
    Desired weight 83-84kg , 7-8% bodyfat (May 2014 or sooner)

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Wow, that looks fantastic! I wish I'd found that recipe before I made crock pot carnitas last night. Mine were good, but THAT looks heavenly.

Sadly, I am one of those people who don't like cilantro. So I sub flat leaf or regular parsley or skip it altogether.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    I picked up more pork butt this week, planning to make another batch in a week or so .... it's just sooooo good !
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post

Sadly, I am one of those people who don't like cilantro. So I sub flat leaf or regular parsley or skip it altogether.
    Yep. Me too. Cilantro and arugula. Yuck!
    I'm soo making the crispy carnitas tomorrow.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I highly recommend avocado, salsa, and sour cream (if you're a dairy-doer) with the carnitas. Although it is so good it might actually make you crazy!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

huskerbob is offline Junior Member
    I found a pork shoulder on sale yesterday. I bought it, hurried home, seasoned it and popped it in the oven for 4 hrs. When it came out of the oven it was falling apart tender! I'm going to crisp it up in my wok, add some lime, avocado and cilantro and make 'lettuce tacos' as suggested by others earlier in this thread for tonight's dinner!

Thanks everyone for the great ideas!!!
    All Men Die.......But Not All Men Live

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexpanait View Post
    New here, hello everyone!

What would be the macro-nutrient breakdown for such a dish? Any brainstorming thoughts?
    (with the given ingredients quantities express in the recipe )
    I imagine that it's mostly protein with a variable amount of fat depending on how fatty your particular pork piece is. At the store where I got mine some cuts were clearly more fatty than others. A good meal !

Chunk of pork was on sale where I live so I got a good-sized piece for less than $3. I like to use my crockpot because I can just leave things in there on low and the time to take it out is flexible. In my crockpot I made a bed of chopped celery (would have used onions but have a friend allergic to them visiting), and deglazed my cast iron pan that had cooked sausage in and added that in as liquid/fat. Using Mark's seasonings as a guideline I added 1.5 t salt, 1 t cumin, but no cinnamon or bay (don't have them) and added 1 t paprika, and about 1/4c of pureed roasted green chile (which added a lot of heat to it), mixed all the seasonings and coated the pork with it, lay pork on top of the bed of celery, and cooked at high and low (varying) for several hours; per the recipe he recommends to add 1/2 cup water to a crockpot but I found that the meat itself released a lot of liquid while cooking so I don't think any additional liquid is necessary. I didn't broil it, so I guess this is really more just carnitas-inspired pork stew... then deboned and ate with cold sour cream on top to temper the heat of the chiles, was very good.

By the way if you live in an area with a truly mexican restaurant, you should be able to get alternate meat types there, for instance my local taco shack offers lengua (tongue) tacos, as well as genuine carnitas, really good with just fresh onion and cilantro on them.

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, this recipe is like having a secret of the universe unlocked...I've made it twice since I saw Mark's post, and can't get over how good it is! Slice up some avocado, tear up a bunch of greens, and have some butternut squash on the side..the sweet squash against the salty pork is heaven...and pork shoulder is one of the less expensive cuts, so it's a good alternate to grass-fed beef.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I finally made it today. My verdict, really, really good. I'm glad I only kept the cinnamon stick in the pot for 40 min, and the dish only has a hint of the flavor. Otherwise it would have been too overpowering imo. But that's just me-not a big fan of seasonings.

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    I add some left-over carnitas to a curry sauce I made for something else-excelente!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast