Thread: How do you construct your fitness programme? page

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member

How do you construct your fitness programme?

Primal Fuel
    Part 1 of my recent article "An Alternative Approach to Exercise Prescription" just went live in SportEX Journal. It covers the basics of human movement patterns:

Squat, Lunge, Push, Pull, Bend/Hinge, Rotate/Twist and Gait.

This article is specifically aimed at those recovering from an injury (and more specifically at introducing the concepts to physiotherapists) but it's just as valid as a means for anyone to construct their programming. I know that lots of people get a bit bogged down in the how's, why's and what's when it comes to exercise so thought you guys would appreciate the link. You can check out the flash version of the Journal here:

35 sportEX dynamics - Jan 2013

Parts 2,3 and 4 will detail the specific exercises I recommend along with base-level, progressions and regressions but I'm happy to answer any questions on here too

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the link. I found it interesting.

I am constructing and adjusting my fitness programme as I go along. Because of my age and lack of fitness caused by years of overeating and exercise neglect I decided to start slowly and build up. I began with HIT rowing and later added the Big Five from Body by Science. I bought You Are Your Own Gym but found it far too hard. I do squats with a weight rucksack, dips between chairs and pressups against the side of the bath. I bought a pull ups/chins/dips tower and am slowly building myself up to do full bodyweight exercises. I already owned some weights and have been using these for arm & shoulder work. Lastly, I've now bought a sandbag and will start using it next week. Once I have built my overall fitness up, I'll revisit YAYOG.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    I've tried to read it, but found it difficult to follow - not your writing coach, the magazine seemes to be all the wrong size for my laptop, and it's either too small text to read or too little of a page and a lose the thread of where to go next

Think I got the general jist really, it confirms I probably need to add some different planes of movement in to what I'm doing, I don't do much twisting or bending or any lunges other than in warm-ups.

I think the twisting and bending is something that is lacking in PBF, which I am still following for my bodyweight excersies (still doing the overhead press and have changed the planks to knee raises)
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    I've tried to read it, but found it difficult to follow - not your writing coach, the magazine seemes to be all the wrong size for my laptop, and it's either too small text to read or too little of a page and a lose the thread of where to go next

Think I got the general jist really, it confirms I probably need to add some different planes of movement in to what I'm doing, I don't do much twisting or bending or any lunges other than in warm-ups.

I think the twisting and bending is something that is lacking in PBF, which I am still following for my bodyweight excersies (still doing the overhead press and have changed the planks to knee raises)
    Yep - the flash viewer is a little tricky. Much better in the print format.

I find the plane of motion stuff really interesting but it's important to consider lack of movement is also an important concept. E.g. the Plank is a Bend pattern movement with stress rather than movement. It also explains why a lot of free weight and body weight exercises are infinitely more effective in developing multi-planar strength and stability than resistance machines.