Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craving dairy like a mo'fo page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Craving dairy like a mo'fo

Primal Fuel
    About a month ago I reintroduced starch and dairy (in teh form of Greek yoghurt) back into my diet. I generally feel a million times better, but weirdly Greek yoghurt has suddenly become the cornerstone of my diet. I eat it for breakfast every day in normal quantities, but then every few days I will start craving it like crazy and will absolutely pound it. I probably go through 4kgs a week!

It doesn't bother me cos' I love it, feel amazing when I eat it, and I don't care about my weight right now, but I'm wondering if this craving is an indication of a deficiency of some sort? Is the GY providing me with something my body is short of? Does anyone know?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    could be a deficiency. possibly probiotics or calcium? what does the rest of your diet look like?

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    could be a deficiency. possibly probiotics or calcium? what does the rest of your diet look like?
    +1
    When I ate CW way and had a craving for 'something' but didn't quite know what that 'something' was, I'd eat a potatoe or banana (after eating all kinds crap that didn't make the craving stop!) and then I was satisfied. It always made me think that my body was mineral deficient at the time.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    I craved yogurt a lot when I wasn't eating enough at other meals.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

I actually have a gut feeling that it's probiotics i'm lacking. I was having a lot of trouble with BMs on HFVLC which are completely sorted since I brought back the starch and dairy. But it just feels like an excessive amount of GY to heal a deficiency... unless it was really bad? Or maybe I need to buy the (more expensive) GY with added probiotics?

Rest of my diet: mostly chicken legs/thighs, bone broth, ground beef, white rice, white potatoes, 1-2 pieces fruit a day, 1-2 pieces of veg, shit-tonne of coffee with full fat milk (prob 5-6 cups a day), some honey, sugar in my tea prob once a week, occasional nuts and dark chocolate. And of course the GY

I am also craving salt, BIG TIME. As well as salting all my food I'll often add it to the GY.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I craved yogurt a lot when I wasn't eating enough at other meals.
    Interesting... I think I'm eating a lot though. I don't count cals but I have a feeling I'm at a very very marginal deficit.

- Ray Peat

sbufton is offline Junior Member

Salt...

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Interesting... I think I'm eating a lot though. I don't count cals but I have a feeling I'm at a very very marginal deficit.
    Just out of curiosity, what kind of salt do you use? If you are using standard table salt, you might try using a better one like Himalayan (pink) salt, or such like which isn't refined. Unrefined salt contains up to 82 minerals, table salt contains 2 (sodium and chloride), with the addition of iodide (or is it iodine..?) because the refining process removes it and the deficiency causes horrible nasty problems. Obviously, removing all those other 80 trace minerals isn't a great idea. Just a thought... it may be irrelevant if you are already using a good quality unrefined salt but if not might help with possible mineral deficiency.

Zeera is offline Senior Member
    I find I crave dairy a lot if the rest of my diet has been kind of boring or repetitive for awhile. Once I start mixing things up and trying new things the cravings die down

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Rest of my diet: mostly chicken legs/thighs, bone broth, ground beef, white rice, white potatoes, 1-2 pieces fruit a day, 1-2 pieces of veg, shit-tonne of coffee with full fat milk (prob 5-6 cups a day), some honey, sugar in my tea prob once a week, occasional nuts and dark chocolate. And of course the GY

I am also craving salt, BIG TIME. As well as salting all my food I'll often add it to the GY.
    i wonder if this could be a hydration thing too...but those extra starches are probably holding onto water just fine.

i'm kind of curious now. i can't imagine what could be missing from the rest of your foods that would be sated by the yogurt. i sort of want to drop it all into paleohacks to see the differences. it can't be just probiotics (i wonder if other fermented foods would do the trick for you...experiment time).
    definitely not a cause for any concern, but i'm curious. hopefully someone smarter will drop by to fill in some details.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbufton View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what kind of salt do you use? If you are using standard table salt, you might try using a better one like Himalayan (pink) salt, or such like which isn't refined. Unrefined salt contains up to 82 minerals, table salt contains 2 (sodium and chloride), with the addition of iodide (or is it iodine..?) because the refining process removes it and the deficiency causes horrible nasty problems. Obviously, removing all those other 80 trace minerals isn't a great idea. Just a thought... it may be irrelevant if you are already using a good quality unrefined salt but if not might help with possible mineral deficiency.
    I threw out the box, but it's good stuff! Big crystals, unrefined etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeera View Post
    I find I crave dairy a lot if the rest of my diet has been kind of boring or repetitive for awhile. Once I start mixing things up and trying new things the cravings die down
    Ironically my diet is more varied now than it's been in years...! I eat different stuff every day... apart from you-know-what. It's the only staple! And coffeee....

it can't be just probiotics (i wonder if other fermented foods would do the trick for you...experiment time).
    Good idea! Bought saukraut the other day so I'll try eating a little on a daily basis and see what that does to the cravings...

- Ray Peat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast