Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water/Liquid with the food? page

jimpag is offline Senior Member

Water/Liquid with the food?

Shop Now
    I have read that if you drink water/other liquids when eating or close to when you eat it will make the digestion of the food worse, anyone have any facts and/or thoughts about that?

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Any liquids after a meal will dilute the HCL... so it would be wise not to drink anything for at-least 30 minutes after a meal, preferably an hour.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EGYnutrition View Post
    Any liquids after a meal will dilute the HCL... so it would be wise not to drink anything for at-least 30 minutes after a meal, preferably an hour.
    +1 HCL = hydrochloric acid, btw.

jimpag is offline Senior Member
    Does the same apply for before the meal?

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Ehh I like to think HCL doesn't get released until you consume protein, so it wouldn't be as much of a problem. But then again, digestion starts when you smell/see the food... it's your choice on how strict you would like to be.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Suki is offline Senior Member
    I'd also like to add that I definitely do not subscribe to this advice. But I don't have issues with digestion, either. People with acid reflux and other digestive issues do well with limiting liquids with meals.

If you're asking if drinking liquids with your meal is going to hamper fat loss, I don't think so. But I'd be willing to defer to someone who knows for sure!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I can't think of eating without a glass of water. I absolutely feel I MUST "wash" my food down with a drink. I have no digestion issues or anything like that.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I'm the same way. I've been drinking with my meals all my life and it seems very unnatural for me not to have something to drink when I eat. The only difference is that now what I'm drinking is usually one glass of water where as in the past that would have been a couple glasses of milk with every meal. I gave that up a year or so before going primal much to the chagrin of the dairy industry. They've had to lay off my personal cow now, Bossy. Poor cow.

kmac is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    They've had to lay off my personal cow now, Bossy. Poor cow.
    I hope they laid her off right onto your dinner plate

emmie is online now Senior Member
    All my life, I've ended a meal with a cup of coffee or hot tea. I find that it actually helps digestion, and I don't see any reason to change this practice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast