Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For Those Of You Who Bought A Paleo Recipe Book... page 2

Shop Now
    Cause I like to buy books.
    My homeschooling mom, doula blog: http://naturalparentingsupport.blogspot.com

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I don't like cookbooks. I did buy Odd Bits. It is a gorgeous book. But like most cookbooks the recipes use too many precious ingredients and have too many complicated steps.

Rather than cookbooks, I just learn how to cook the basic outline and then get inventive with interchangeable options. The Los Angeles Times had a good article last Saturday about that. The California Cook: Basic dishes a couple can build on - latimes.com This is the sort of instruction I would much rather have than what a typical cookbook offers.

I don't need to know the steps to make some fancy, pretty dish. What I really need are basic processes and what they work for. What's the temperature for the oven to do what I want to do? Is this cut of meat best with low temp/long cooking time or high temp/short cooking time? Is there a good sauce I can put on top of whatever I'm making and what's the simplest way to make this sauce? What the heck can I do with salt pork that doesn't take a lot of ingredients or steps? That sort of thing. For that reason I never buy books because they're never laid out that way. Maybe Betty Crocker from 1950 is laid out that way. I should look for an old one of those.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 192.5lbs, press 75lbs and deadlift 210lbs

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Maybe Betty Crocker from 1950 is laid out that way. I should look for an old one of those.
    haha - this reminds me that my mother-in-law has an old cookbook with recipes for bologna cups. Yes, that's right, you take slices of bologna and heat them up in the oven, and like magic the rind shrinks and creates a nice little cup to put various appetizer type fillings in to serve to your guests. What a laugh.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    those are the kinds of cook books i like most, vintage freak shows
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I used to think I was funny until I met Kathy Griffin. Im gonna have to call my mama and have her tell me how good I am. - ginger minj

Violette_R is offline Senior Member
    I turn to the internet when I have an ingredient, need ideas what to do with it, and my existing cookbooks aren't helping.

I buy cookbooks because I like browsing them. I see things I would never think to cook otherwise and stuff that maybe I don't want to cook as is, but can tailor to my own tastes. I'm also one of those people who digs books.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I remember the Betty Crocker book my mom had contained recipes for how to make a roast, how to cut up a whole chicken into parts and useful stuff like that. Sure, how to make a pie crust was in there too. But it wasn't a freak show. It was actual How To Cook instructions.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 192.5lbs, press 75lbs and deadlift 210lbs

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I don't like cookbooks. I did buy Odd Bits. It is a gorgeous book. But like most cookbooks the recipes use too many precious ingredients and have too many complicated steps.

Rather than cookbooks, I just learn how to cook the basic outline and then get inventive with interchangeable options. The Los Angeles Times had a good article last Saturday about that. The California Cook: Basic dishes a couple can build on - latimes.com This is the sort of instruction I would much rather have than what a typical cookbook offers.

I don't need to know the steps to make some fancy, pretty dish. What I really need are basic processes and what they work for. What's the temperature for the oven to do what I want to do? Is this cut of meat best with low temp/long cooking time or high temp/short cooking time? Is there a good sauce I can put on top of whatever I'm making and what's the simplest way to make this sauce? What the heck can I do with salt pork that doesn't take a lot of ingredients or steps? That sort of thing. For that reason I never buy books because they're never laid out that way. Maybe Betty Crocker from 1950 is laid out that way. I should look for an old one of those.
    Try "Martha Stewarts Cooking School". It is organized into sections by cooking method like steaming, frying, braising, etc, complete with a simple recipe that clearly demonstrates the technique, followed by just a few variations. My Second wants to be a chef, so I am forever on the lookout for books of this sort. Not everything is Primal, of course, but overwhelmingly Primal-friendly.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Try "Martha Stewarts Cooking School". It is organized into sections by cooking method like steaming, frying, braising, etc, complete with a simple recipe that clearly demonstrates the technique, followed by just a few variations. My Second wants to be a chef, so I am forever on the lookout for books of this sort. Not everything is Primal, of course, but overwhelmingly Primal-friendly.
    if they're interested in chefing, they should definitely read the Escoffier Cookbook, bearing in mind it's more of a textbook than anything else

To answer the OP, books are one of the few old-school mediums I still cling to. E.g. I like Chomsky's catalogue, A People's History, and various psych and books on hand so I can look something up if I need to, rather than looking for a potentially dubious internet source. Cookbooks are the same way. I rarely ever use recipes unless I'm trying something new, but it's nice to have references on hand to exactly what goes into a proper vindaloo, or a chimayo mexican chorizo, or something. Blogs tend to really fuck that up if the author doesn't have access to certain ingredients or just omits them due to cheapness. And recipes that are designed specifically to conform to someone's concept of "healthy" tend to just be baaaad, no matter what diet you're talking about.

That said, I also don't see much of a point in paleo cookbooks. You're better off stocking your shelves with traditional french cookbooks, julia child, and various regional cuisines like indian, mediterranean, peruvian, etc. and just tweak them to suit your dietary needs. Mark's recipes tend to be really good, but I wouldn't bother with any others.
    Last edited by Chaohinon; 01-17-2013 at 04:49 PM.
    The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Cookbooks give me ideas. If I look online, its because I have something in mind. I'd never try random things like Spice Market Kale or Morrocan Meatballs. (Well Fed) or any of the other awesome recipes.

I also like books because if they are by known authors they are reliable. A Dorie Greenspan recipe will work. And be good. She won't lead me astray on cooking $15 worth of duck.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I buy cookbooks in book form, on my Kindle, and search online. I love to plan and look at recipes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast