Thread: Peas page

jazzyj is offline Junior Member

Peas

Primal Fuel
    I'm reading 21-step PBP. And I'm confused. It says peas are legumes, and we should delete legumes frim our diets. But then a few chapters later in talking about rich anti-oxidant things we should eat, peas are included in the list.

Which is it?

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Most fresh legumes are primal. The exception would be soy beans.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    Marks website is a wealth of information, if you have a question do a search and chances are he'll have answered your question.
    for example the top hit for a search for legumes returns this which answers your exact question:
    Are Peas and Green Beans Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

Peas and green beans are, botanically speaking, legumes. And since I generally recommend against the consumption of legumes, it seems to follow that the consumption of peas and green beans is “not Primal.” But hold on. Peas and green beans eaten fresh – not dried – are young seeds picked when unripe. The type of legumes we’re wary of are dried beans – beans that are allowed to dry on the vine until they rattle in their pods. Green beans and fresh peas are picked before they dry. In fact, green beans and peas have been bred to be digestible, palatable, and easily cooked before maturation. No lab-coated genetic modification, just good old fashioned selective breeding – the stuff we’ve been doing for tens of thousands of years.

When you pop them into an online database, the nutritional profile of legumes is pretty decent. They’ve got more protein than grains, fewer antinutrients (and zero gluten!), and a decent amount of minerals. I’ve always advised against making legumes a significant part of your diet, mostly because far tastier and more nutrient dense foods exist out there, but I’ve never said they’re evil, either. I’d much rather you load up on soaked, well-prepared beans than hearthealthywholegrains.

Read more: Are Peas and Green Beans Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

jazzyj is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the info. I may try to stay away from the website. It too seems to be some what contradictory to the book - which for the most part I find logical. At least starting out. I know what he's saying, but I need some concrete stuff to hang my hat on in the beginning and not be wishy washy about it.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzyj View Post
    Thanks for the info. I may try to stay away from the website. It too seems to be some what contradictory to the book - which for the most part I find logical. At least starting out. I know what he's saying, but I need some concrete stuff to hang my hat on in the beginning and not be wishy washy about it.
    You can find plenty of info which someone is claiming to be "concrete stuff' but it may or may not be right. If you read enough, you will soon discover that there are very few, if any, agreed upon facts regarding nutrition. You can find plenty of studies to support diametrically opposed nutritional theories. If you lock into one theory too fast you may not find the right path for you. Be leery of anyone who claims to know exactly what is best. Pretty much all of the popular nutritional gurus are trying to sell their products as their top priority.

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    You can find plenty of info which someone is claiming to be "concrete stuff' but it may or may not be right. If you read enough, you will soon discover that there are very few, if any, agreed upon facts regarding nutrition. You can find plenty of studies to support diametrically opposed nutritional theories. If you lock into one theory too fast you may not find the right path for you. Be leery of anyone who claims to know exactly what is best. Pretty much all of the popular nutritional gurus are trying to sell their products as their top priority.
    This makes a lot of sence. I think its very easy to suffer info overload with all this.

I'v pretty much come to the conclusion if you simply don't directly eat sugar and remove as much gluton from what you consume, you will lose weight and will deffo feel better. How "primal" you chose to be after that is up to the individual and why they are following the lifestyle.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    There are peas as in split pea soup. They are dried and hard. They are legumes. Then there are peas as in peas and carrots. They are fresh. They are also legumes. In fact, they're pretty much the same exact vegetable. Just don't base your whole diet on legumes thinking you are doing yourself a favor, but no need to run screaming from the room when someone puts a bowl of split pea soup in front of you. Just don't eat soy. That stuff isn't fit for human consumption and the US Government knew that for a long time before they somehow changed their mind.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2