Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm ok with Vegans until........ page 5

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Vegan is healthy though...compared to SAD. I don't have a problem with vegans until they try and tell me its the optimal diet, or that its morally right.

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    A chap said the other day in the office "how do you know if a person is a Vegitarian?" Answer "They will ferkin tell you!"

Its not being a vegie or vegan that's the problem its the banging on about it all the time that winds folk up

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    from the vegans etc that I know, the optimal human diet argument does not seem to be their primary goal, health is secondary to moral issues. We care about health then the morality but they seem to have it the other way about. I may be generalizing here and as I dont know all the vegans out there I may be wrong but it seems to me they are willing to sacrifice their health long term to live what they see as a moral life.

Not all of them mind you, some really got into it for health but most of the young fired up activist types that go at it hard and fast seem more concerned about ethics and environmentalism than their health. Then they get older and calm down and I bet frequently start to get less happy with how they feel. Hopefully before they have done permanent damage as Lierre Keith did.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    How many primal people take supplements?
    I get that. But there's some vitamin, B12 maybe? that vegans can't get naturally. I think if someone really did primal 100%, they wouldn't lack in anything. The supplement industry is huge, and I'm sure there are many people who take supplements unnecessarily.
    --------------

As far as ethics are concerned, the way Big Food produces beef and soy both pretty much show what shitty stewards we are to this planet. Though I have to admit, soy most likely doesn't suffer, whereas mistreated cattle do. In the end though, I don't think humans eating animals is any more unethical than wolves eating animals. It's what we're wired to do.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

ELizabeth826 is offline Senior Member
    Quinoa. Because the suffering of animals is more upsetting than the suffering of humans. Especially brown humans.

Can vegans stomach the unpalatable truth about quinoa? | Joanna Blythman | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    what shitty stewards we are to this planet.
    Like babies running the nursery.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    How many primal people take supplements?
    Thats a good point, but how many would actually "need" to supplement if they took full advantage of all the foods available with primal eating and lifestyle?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I don't take supplements regularly. Once in a while I might pop a fish oil and a couple vitamin Ds but I could easily do without them and normally don't bother.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

cobalamin is offline Member
    *cough* vitamin B12 *cough*

Everyone that doesn't know how its made in humans needs to supplement. Not enough B12 in meat to meet our requirements. Those are the facts. - I don't see a difference between paleo/primal and vegans. One group is far right and the other is far left. I'm right in the middle since I know how we make our own B12.

The vegan point about killing cows and keeping dogs/cats as pets is true. Wouldn't you guys rather kill dogs for food; with all the shit on the streets and dogs biting humans?

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    This thread really pisses me off. Anyone who says all "vegans are wrong about their dietary choices" and that they "all lecture you about what to eat" followed by saying how Primal is a superior diet sounds like a bigot and a hypocrite. Seriously, get over it. You'd be the exact people who moan that others "don't understand" when you talk about Primal. Like this:

Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    Vegan is healthy though...compared to SAD. I don't have a problem with vegans until they try and tell me its the optimal diet, or that its morally right.
    How do you think SAD people feel when you tell them how unhealthy they are?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Seekins View Post
    A chap said the other day in the office "how do you know if a person is a Vegitarian?" Answer "They will ferkin tell you!"

Its not being a vegie or vegan that's the problem its the banging on about it all the time that winds folk up
    I was a vegetarian for eight years and you know what? I didn't tell people because the response was invariably condescending. People are so quick to judge but they lack the self awareness to see that they are emulating the behavior they are criticizing.

Argh!
    Last edited by YogaBare; 01-18-2013 at 12:06 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast