Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best oil to fry with? Olive, Flaxseed, Cocounut? page 3

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by shrinkinglo View Post
    I now fry with butter, olive oil (It smokes a tiny bit), and oil from when I make my batch of pork scratchings. Would you say this is okay?
    Be careful with the cooking temp. Any time an oil is heated beyond its smoke point, the chemical structure gets altered.

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Just don't buy the 'lard' from the grocery store, it's not much better than a brick of Crisco. If you have a Mexican grocery near-by they might have real lard but you can't count on it. I don't, so I render my own. Also render my own (grass-fed) beef tallow, which is probably my favorite for frying or the occasional deep-fry. Then refined coconut oil - I don't like the taste of coconut and really hate the smell so I buy refined from Tropical Traditions. I love olive oil for sauteed (sp?) veggies and lastly, butter for eggs.

shrinkinglo is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    Just don't buy the 'lard' from the grocery store, it's not much better than a brick of Crisco. If you have a Mexican grocery near-by they might have real lard but you can't count on it. I don't, so I render my own. Also render my own (grass-fed) beef tallow, which is probably my favorite for frying or the occasional deep-fry. Then refined coconut oil - I don't like the taste of coconut and really hate the smell so I buy refined from Tropical Traditions. I love olive oil for sauteed (sp?) veggies and lastly, butter for eggs.
    Oh, okay I will research the board on how to render my own lard/tallow. This way of eating is too good to mess up with using the wrong oils.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123