Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best oil to fry with? Olive, Flaxseed, Cocounut? page 2

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghjjf View Post
    Lard you say? Why pick that over other choice?

Also, Flaxseed was something I was definitely considering, why shouldnt I choose that option?
    For the same reason. Saturated fats are good because they remain chemically stable when you are frying with them. Lard, ghee (butter without the proteins) and coconut oil are all examples of saturated fat. Olive Oil is a mono-unsaturated. It's an ok alternative if there are no saturated fats to cook with.

As a general rule of thumb, if it's solid at room temperature, it's good to go. The more runny it is, the more you should run from it.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    Heating flax seed turns it into something akin to linseed oil, not something we should consume

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    My preferences, in descending order:

Tallow (grass-fed)
    Lard (pastured, not hydrogenated)
    Coconut oil (refined. Just bought a 5-gallon bucket from Trop. Trad. So many uses)
    Palm shortening

neowild is offline Member
    In a Primal/paleo diet we try to eat things that reduce systemic inflammation. Oxidized fats are highly inflammatory. Unsaturated fats are prone to oxidation--especially in the presence of heat. Flax oil would be one of the worst oils to cook with. it is extremely prone to oxidation--even at room temperature. Saturated fats are less likely to oxidize--that's why they're best for cooking. Just don't heat them above their smoke point.

neowild is offline Member
    Also, as pointed out, linseed oil is flax oil. If you polish furniture with linseed oil and leave the rag out, it will catch on fire. That's how prone flax is to oxidation.

Moreover, rancid oils are oxidized oils.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghjjf View Post
    Whats the difference between coconut oil (the solid stuff) and unrefined in regards with health benefits.
    The extra virgin coconut oil (the one with coconut flavor) is ideal. However, many people (me included) don't like the flavor, especially when used for frying/sauteing. You can use refined CO, but make sure it is expeller pressed or cold expeller pressed. It's good also. I use the Specrtum brand.
    Ghee, lard, avocado oil, MCT oil, tallow, butter are all good as well.

shrinkinglo is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    The extra virgin coconut oil (the one with coconut flavor) is ideal. However, many people (me included) don't like the flavor, especially when used for frying/sauteing. You can use refined CO, but make sure it is expeller pressed or cold expeller pressed. It's good also. I use the Specrtum brand.
    Ghee, lard, avocado oil, MCT oil, tallow, butter are all good as well.
    I am in England and have seen avocado oil on sale, so I might buy some of that. I used to buy a block of lard and fry but my sister hates the smell of it.

I now fry with butter, olive oil (It smokes a tiny bit), and oil from when I make my batch of pork scratchings. Would you say this is okay?

GuitarGrok is offline Member
    I strain the fat from bacon, and Duck, and that is great to cook with. Sometimes I use coconut oil, or ghee depending on what I am cooking, and what I think will add to the flavor.

Duck fat is crazy slick, I also use it to season cast iron pans, it is great stuff!!!

Rudee is offline Junior Member
    The extra virgin coconut oil with the stronger flavor is not something I prefer to cook with, and use the refined coconut oil instead. I stop all consumption of coconut oil at dinnertime, as eating it any later in the evening causes me insomnia, because the MCT's in coconut oil is like pure energy, and it wires me.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Lard, tallow, duck fat, goose fat, ... All the good things that freak my mil out
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast