Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The "Live like you will die today" cure. page 2

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I love hearing all of your responses. The freedom from anxiety is immensely powerful. I am resolved not to let fear or worry dictate my actions anymore I am actually excited about the limitless possibilities for my life. Yogabare, you summed it up nicely, "When you live your life as a preparation for death... well... you actually begin to live! It's an unexpected, paradoxical consequence."
    Thanks for all the virtual hugs!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Hm, I see what you guys are saying but I'm not feeling that way myself. As of the past four months or so I've been dealing with anxiety and panic attacks, both of which were new to me (at least in a sustained sort of manner, obviously I've experienced anxiety before but it would usually be merited not unexpected). I believe they started out of a sense of guilt that I haven't been using my time wisely and can't seem to get my act together in order to do so. Anyway, won't bore you with the whole bit but knowing I'm going to die doesn't make me feel any better about that. In fact, it makes life seem way too pointless to even bother living it. I've had that understanding, that life is devoid of reason, for quite a while, but never did it make me feel like not living life. I'm not depressed, honestly, and I still get out there and do plenty of things and have fun and everything and I'm not worried about doing something grandiose with my life or anything but I'm not reconciling how acknowledging the futility of life or the fact that it will inevitably end is supposed to make everything better or give me this clarity... but hey maybe I'll get it soon enough.

I also have struggled with the structure that we currently have, the apparent need to hold a job (or a career if you luck out) in order to support yourself and live. Of course, this has been the case for humans ever since we started, nothing has ever come without work of some sort. I don't think I would necessarily enjoy a simpler life, which would actually probably be filled with a lot more work than I do now, and still for no tangible reward since we're going to die anyway! why do anything?

I could never purposely end my life, and I truly have no desire to do so and hope that I never will, but at the same time I can sort of understand why someone that feels as though their back is against the wall could do such a thing. Ideally they would feel like you guys do, but I think certain situations are more inescapable than that. You guys are experiencing some tough losses, but what if your anxiety is stemmed from other causes? and your mortality doesn't really make much of a difference in the matter? That's not my situation, but for the sake of argument I guess. I don't see how you can be so zen and just be like "well fuck it I'm going to die anyway" or "..but at least I'm not dead" when/if death would actually feel like a better option or a release?

I feel I must stress this, given what I've posted: I'm not suicidal, and I'm not talking about myself (outside of the anxiety stuff I mentioned, which has actually subsided) I am pretty happy and I realize that life will have its ups and downs and sometimes you have to go through the downs to get to the happy, so nobody needs to worry about me, but the topic is interesting.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    why do anything?
    Or why not do exactly what you want?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    yes!!!!!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    yes!!!!!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I wish I could do this more, though. I might walk away from everything and just be a bum, bumming around the US, hiking the long trails, doing odd jobs for food, maybe I'd get better at playing my pennywhistle or mandolin and busk, live outdoors, walk away from fearful and negative people. I was raised so conventional it's so hard to throw off the mantle of what a proper life should be, so hard to close a door to open another. So I dream and think maybe when I'm old I'll do those things. When I'm old who will care what I've become, who will be left in my life to stop me?
    #4 in the Gnoll Credo is : If you can't eat it , wear it, wield it, or carry it, leave it behind.

Hey SB how about if I buy the food and supplies and, in exchange, you be my guide to hike the PCT someday?

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Hey SB how about if I buy the food and supplies and, in exchange, you be my guide to hike the PCT someday?
    Girls night out? Boys not invited?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Girls night out? Boys not invited?
    Well, she has a special expertise to offer having hiked the PCT before. What would you have to trade? (Other than your studly body and I'm sure you're not that kind of boy.)

I really like the barter system. I have a chiropractor friend but I don't pay for adjustments because I cut her hair for her. Win-win.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Cus... I need money

I see what you're saying though, and more power to you!
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12