Thread: Eat Smart Bathroom Scale page

haroldcrews is offline Junior Member

Eat Smart Bathroom Scale

Primal Fuel
    Evening, my Precision GetFit Digital Body Fat Bathroom Scale came today. After setting it up with my profile it told me my body fat level is a little over 11%. This seems a little low to me. I'm not muscular and my BMI is 22 give or take 0.2.

Does anyone have any familiarity with this product and its accuracy?

GioMetry is offline Junior Member
    I think I have the same product. I use it for weight only right now, but it showed 30% for me a few months ago, which was probably accurate.

I think those scales all are more of a "guideline" measurement tool. There are other, more reliable, ways to measure body fat - probably more pricey.

If I were you, I'd just take the 11% and be happy.
    ---
    F, 37, 5'7"

SW: 190 (Jan 2013)
    CW: 170.2 (3/20/13; 11 weeks; stalling a little now...Boo.)
    pregnant! - due Nov 2013
    GW: below 160, ideally below 150 - goals postponed to 2014

lowest adult weight: 145 (12/2007, low-fat, cardio-crazy)
    highest adult weight: around 200

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    These biometric bathroom scales are notoriously inaccurate. They should not be used to measure your body fat in terms of accuracy.

However, they can be a helpful precision tool. What you can do is use the body fat % it shows as a point of reference. Check once a week and create a graph where every week is a data point and make sure over the course of months you are in a steady decline. You just have to make sure that you are doing things under the same conditions. Simply drinking a pint of water before your weigh-in will raise your body fat measurement by about 0.5-1% on these scales. That's a huge deal. It's best to pick one day a week and measure it right upon waking. For example:

1.) Maybe choose a Friday morning since your weeks are less variable than weekends, where food intake and activity can fluctuate wildly whereas during a work week you're adhering to a similar eat/sleep schedule and probably not going out at night and indulging.

2.) Measure immediately upon rising.

3.) Go pee first so you flush out all the water sitting in your bladder all night so it doesn't throw off the reading.

That could make your scale a very good precision tool.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

sarahelyse is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    These biometric bathroom scales are notoriously inaccurate. They should not be used to measure your body fat in terms of accuracy.
    +1

My scale and my friend's scale differed by 10% when the measurements were taken one right after the other.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahelyse View Post
    +1

My scale and my friend's scale differed by 10% when the measurements were taken one right after the other.
    Chances are one was set on "normal" and the other on "athlete." The "athlete" setting will show a strikingly lower percentage of body fat. The "athlete" setting on mine is within -/+2% of reality and pegs me at high 12's/low 13's depending on how much water I drink. The normal setting puts me at like 19%, which is laughable.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.