Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to tell the others? Help a newbie out! page

pauly-p is offline Junior Member

Question What to tell the others? Help a newbie out!

Shop Now
    Hi Everyone!

Paul here, 33 year old native Texan living in NYC. Discovering the Primal Blueprint lifestyle has felt like coming home, like YES! Finally something I resonate with, from the eating to fitness to taking care of yourself. Easing into the eating, but 5 days with no grains and I feel fantastic! It doesn't feel difficult, and I'm enjoying getting back in the kitchen.

The hardest part so far is mentioning it to others. While I understand the scientific reasoning when reading the articles, I'm not the best at explaining it, nor do I want to have an in-depth discussion and defend myself at every social/work meal.

So what are some of your stock responses? Something I can easily tell people when the whole office is staring at me or a friend is telling me this doesn't sound healthy.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Paul

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I say I don't eat processed foods and avoid wheat because I have a sensitivity to it.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    I personally hurt if I eat grain/sugar. So I just tell people I cannot eat them. If we talk about it more I describe said pain. Depending on the person, if they have an inflammatory disease or talk about tryi g to lose weight, or ask about my weight loss, I will go into more detail about insulin, blood sugar, toxins in grains, wheat and corn being freaks etc.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Don't talk about it to other people. Just say, "No, thank you" when they offer you stuff. Don't answer any questions if they ask you directly. Just find the most appropriate non-answer that fits, such as if they say, "Hey let's go get some Burger King" and you say, "No, thank you" and they ask, "Why?" then just say, "I'm watching my weight" or "I've already eaten" or whatever non-answer fits. Or if they say, "Hey you've lost weight, how did you do it?" Just say, "Eating right and exercise" and leave it at that. Period. Only ever tell people about paleo or primal if they actually bring it up themselves, as in, "Hey, I've decided to eat a Paleo Diet and I'm going to preach it to the world!" You can just say, "Yeah, I've been doing it for a year, it's great."

Trust me on this. If you say anything you will never hear the end of it from some jackass with a wedgie. Never. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

meloroaster is offline Senior Member
    i would keep it simply, just say it doesn't agree with you, so you're trying to be proactive about your health.
    jsut remember, if someone is going to make a comment...they will make a comment regardless. own your decision and don't worry about others too much. eventually, people stop asking and start accepting.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Dude, you should have this down.....just tell em your a Texan and that should take care of it .

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    tell them you eat nothing but sticks of butter, all day every day

then say 'wow, i feel a twinge in my chest'

then walk away
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I eat meat, vegetables, and fruit. (Maybe some dairy or rice sometimes.) Where's the unhealthy part?

You can put vegetables and fruit in front of meat, or say meat inbetween so that people remember the veggies and fruit more.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Where's that post about the unicorns...
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    I laughed out loud again: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65585-4.html

Knifegill says:

People do the same thing to me. They ask, I tell them, and they're sure it would never work for them. It doesn't seem to ultimately matter how the information is presented. Next time I think it'll go like this:

Well, I went to mount Olympus and duct taped two unicorns together to double their magic, and rode their magic bodies for forty days and forty nights. When I got off, I looked like this. It's great!
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast