Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to tell the others? Help a newbie out! page 2

PBNewby is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm trying to train myself to say "I don't eat that" instead of "I can't eat that".

After all, what I eat is my choice no matter what my diet is at the current time.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    I just tell people that I'm sensitive to grains. When I have mentioned the paleo diet to people they seem to think it's some type of detox program. Then I had to continue by saying its a lifestyle just like being a vegetarian. In all honesty, I don't feel the need to justify the way I eat or live my life in general. People are allowed to think what they want and there's nothing I can do about it. Most of my friends actually have come to me saying they want to drop some weight and they ask what I eat. They probably think I'm pretty hard core but eating paleo for me is not too different from the way I was eating before.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I'm getting worried about eating out. Is it really a good idea?

But to answer your question, sbhikes is right. Best to say nothing.

My daughter-in-law is very proud of her cooking. She learned from here grandmother and she is a very good cook. She eats the same way her grandmother did - with some deletions. I tell here she doesn't eat WHAT her grandmother ate. She gets a stubborn look on her face. Then I shut up. Enough.

Karyn is offline Junior Member
    I usually tell people I just eat meat, fruit and vegetables. It is the simplest answer and most of the time they do not ask for more of an explaination because it is a healthy way to eat. If that isn't enough for them I say that if the food comes in a box or is processed I don't eat it because it isn't healthy to eat processed foods. I do tell some people I eat a primal diet and if they think it is strange I really don't care.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    "I used to weigh 400 pounds." Shuts 'em up every time.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Annieh is online now Senior Member
    I only have one friend who is genuinely interested in how this works. Other than when she asks, I try not to say anything to people, if I do I usually regret it.

For example, only the other day an old friend was complaining about all her health issues including high blood pressure that she has been unable to control with three different medications and despite "trying everything".

When I said that I had I brought mine down with diet, and specially mentioned dropping grains, she tuned right out.

Now I think that unless someone literally ASKS for help then they are likely just complaining about the way things are, not actually wanting to know how to change them.

pauly-p is offline Junior Member
    You guys are hilarious, thanks for the advice! I'm a Texan, I eat nothing but butter, and my duct-taped unicorns do the rest. Love it!

Zeera is offline Senior Member
    I don't usually explain why I choose not to eat certain things to most people. I just say I avoid all packaged and processed foods and almost anything with an ingredient list. Most people just aren't interested in hearing any more about it after that.

The fact is I don't feel the need to justify what I do or do not eat to anyone, so I just avoid the subject for simplicity's sake. I used to get pretty irritated when I would explain the reasoning and scientific facts behind my dietary choices to someone and then promptly receive a lecture on why I couldn't possibly be correct. Now it just makes me laugh because I know that I'm far healthier than they are, and I think most of the people who have given me the lecture on the wonders of enriched bread secretly know it too, deep down.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pauly-p View Post
    You guys are hilarious, thanks for the advice! I'm a Texan, I eat nothing but butter, and my duct-taped unicorns do the rest. Love it!
    atta boy
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12