Thread: HELP: Gestational Diabetes on a primal/paleo diet? page

always_smile is offline Junior Member

HELP: Gestational Diabetes on a primal/paleo diet?

Shop Now
    I am 28w pregnant with twins. Last Fri (after going back and forth rather I should refuse the GD test considering what's in that drink) I decided to bite the bullet and do it. I drank 5 oz of that glucose nasty stuff and 1 h later they drew my blood. Yesterday my OB called to let me know "I'm a little too sweet": 170 and the norma range is 140. So Fri I have to go and do a 3 hour glucose test which means drinking more crap and drawing blood every hour (no water or anything allowed). I've been eating primal/paleo for over a year and a half. How is this possible? 3 years ago during my first pregnancy I had cereal EVERY SINGLE MORNING (whole grains, mind you), and even ate McDonalds more than I like to admit and I passed the 1h glucose test by a large margin. Now I am eating grassfed meats, eggs, vegetables, fruit and I faill. How is this possible? I tried to do some research specific to twin pregnancy but couldn't find anything about GD and primal/paleo diet or how a twin pregnancy is different than a singleton in this regard. Has anybody else experienced this? Or can think of an explanation?
    I'm hoping this was just a false positive result and I will pass the 3 hour test. This week I decided to eat NOTHING besides meat, eggs and vegetables- not even fresh fruit which was my indulgence this pregnancy (and by that I mean 1 apple a day, or one banana, or a handfull of berries, not huge amounts). Hopefully I will pass the test on Fri.
    But I have to say it makes me sooo mad. I always cooked from scratch but at this stage of TWIN pregnancy (so much different than a singleton pregnancy) it takes a real effort and motivation to stay on my feet and do that but I did it because I know it's what's best (and hubby doesn't cook). Having GD would make me so mad and would probably make me wonder "why put the effort into cooking when it doesn't make a difference"? I'm really pissed looking back at my diet 3 years ago or loking at what other friends are eating during their pregnancy (watching TV with a box full of ice-cream on their lap etc etc) and passing the test. How is it possible to fail on a paleo/primal diet?

sutton_02 is offline Junior Member
    If you google "oral glucose tolerance test paleo" you'll see that this is a common phenomenon in the lower carb world. You should definitely read Robb Wolf's post regarding this. . .

[url=http://robbwolf.com/2008/06/25/gestational-diabetes/[/url]

From what I've read, instead of limiting carbs prior to the test, it is suggested that you actually increase starchy carbs (i.e. sweet potatoes) for about 3 days leading up to the test.

Good luck and congrats!
    Last edited by sutton_02; 01-15-2013 at 01:25 PM.

emmie is online now Senior Member
    You will NOT get an accurate result unless you eat at least 150g of carbs daily for three days prior to your test. I've had the test twice, from two different endos, and they both told me the same thing.

Both times the test was negative for diabetes, despite the carb loading prior to the test.

If you go into the test without carbing up, you may get a false positive test.

sutton_02 is offline Junior Member
    Trying to get the link to work . . .

Gestational Diabetes

always_smile is offline Junior Member
    That makes sense. I'm such a hormonal mess I haven't even thought of that.
    And by the way....there's a joke running around that the reason I am pregnant with spontaneous twins is BECAUSE the primal/paleo diet made me more fertile than I already was (nobody in my family has ever had twins). LOL

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by always_smile View Post
    I
    But I have to say it makes me sooo mad. I alwys cooked from scratch but at this stage of TWIN pregnancy (so much different than a singleton pregnancy) it takes a real effort and motivation to stay on my feet and do that but I did it because I know it's what's best (and hubby doesn't cook). Having GD would make me so mad and would probably make me wonder "why put the effort into cooking when it doesn't make a difference"? I'm really pissed looking back at my diet 3 years ago or loking at what other friends are eating during their pregnancy (watching TV with a box full of ice-cream on their lap etc etc) and passing the test. How is it possible to fail on a paleo/primal diet?
    You know what makes me mad? Lol! Reading about a 28 week pregnant lady with twins, with another child to look after and "hubby doesn't cook" . Why doesn't he cook!

You are obviously tired, coming up to the hardest few weeks and you don't have anyone in your house able to cook you healthy, nutritious meals?

What is it about cooking that some men think it's ok just to bring the money into the house but are unable to feed their family?

Buy him cooking lessons as a father's day present so you can have a break from cooking every night of your life.

Im not saying hes not a good man, but he would be an even better partner and father if he learnt this essential life skill.

Ok rant over - best wishes for the upcoming birth - and this rant is purely because i care about a tired, stressed mum...

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member
    I'm reading this thread with great interest. I failed my 1-hr glucose test with both my previous pregnancies and *almost* failed the 3-hr (just barely passed). I was eating SAD at the time. After kid#2 I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic.

I was really hoping my paleo diet would help me pass my 1-hr this time around. We'll see, I guess.
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

PrimalJes is offline Senior Member
    I was eating strict primal before taking my 1 hour glucose test and I failed. Then I took the 3 hour glucose test and failed again. After that, I did some research, and it seems that I should have upped my carbs in the 3 days before the test in order to pass it. I tried telling 2 midwives, 2 nutritionists, and an ultrasound technician about my findings, and although most of them didn't exactly shoot down my theory/findings, none of them had ever heard of such a thing. So, after getting my glucose meter and taking my blood 2 hours after every meal for a few days, I decided to do my own experiment. I upped my carbs a lot...and went totally off primal eating. For the first few days, my blood sugar was high two hours after meals, and then my body started becoming accustomed to all the sugar I was eating. My final test was the morning after my birthday (Dec. 31st). I ate a slice of cake, french fries, and drank soda (gross, I know, but it was the absolute worst breakfast I could think of to end my experiment). 2 hours later, my blood glucose reading was 87, I believe. And this is a very normal level. My fasting glucose is around 75 every morning. I am not a gestational diabetic.

My point is this: A false positive on a blood glucose test can really happen when eating the right way (primal/paleo). If you want to pass the test, just up your carbs in the days before (150+ each day).

I wish I knew all this beforehand so I didn't have the label "gestational diabetic". I live in a major city and I'm really surprised none of the professionals have ever heard of this!
    I'm a 5'-6" tall female.

SW: 212.4 lbs. February 14, 2013 (My second baby was born)
    CW:168.4 lbs.
    GW: 143 lbs.

Just keep going.

New goal:

Get back to 80-90% Primal and back down to my lowest recent weight of 158 lbs. while doing as much moving and strength training as I can get in.

jmday is offline Senior Member
    California Native living in land locked Kansas
    For both my kids, I failed the 1 hour test and had to go to 3 hour and passed. I was sick every day for each pregnancy. Didn't matter what I ate so at some point, I just ate what would stay down the longest.

Best wishes!!!!! My boys are now 14 and 17. Couldn't be prouder of them.
    Julia
    Starting Weight 235 - Dec 1, 2010
    Started Primal Mid January 2011
    Current Weight 183
    Goal 160

Get Outside Already!

http://moderndayfitandfood.wordpress.com/
    http://moderndaydesigns.wordpress.com/

EllaDuChien is offline Junior Member
    always_smile - I was diagnosed with GD when I was pregnant with my daughter in 2011. I had been primal for months prior and I didn't realize how that would effect my test. I failed so badly, they skipped the 3 hour and sent me straight to the endocrinologist. I was put on a "diabetes diet" and told horror stories of stillborn babies if I did not eat the way they told me.

Well, I was sick every day eating their way and absolutely miserable so I decided to go back to eating primal and all of my sickness went away. I monitored my blood sugar 4x a day and never had to go on medication to control my sugar. I gained 15 pounds throughout my pregnancy and my beautiful healthy daughter was born at 6lbs 15oz. She was awake and alert and everyone commented on how she seemed so strong and alert for a newborn.

I just found out we are expecting again, due in September. This pregnancy I will respectfully decline the OGTT and continue to monitor my own blood sugar while maintaining a healthy primal diet.

Eating paleo/primal you can be assured that you are giving your twins the BEST possible start to their lives. No matter what modern medicine tells you...Good Luck Mama!! And congratulations on 2 beautiful babies!