Thread: VAP or NMR page

leonardotmnt is offline Senior Member

VAP or NMR

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've seen people talk about both but is there one I should request over the other? I'm getting bloodwork done tonight and would like cholesterol and a1c done. What are the differences between NMR and VAP and which should I ask for? Thanks!

Griff is offline Senior Member
    I normally get a VAP test. I don't know the differences between the two - the most important thing is to get the particles directly measured for your lipid profile, so you know your particle size distribution for your LDL, and the VAP does that.

A1c is a completely different test. VAP is for cholesterol.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

leonardotmnt is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    I normally get a VAP test. I don't know the differences between the two - the most important thing is to get the particles directly measured for your lipid profile, so you know your particle size distribution for your LDL, and the VAP does that.

A1c is a completely different test. VAP is for cholesterol.
    Thanks griff. As long as the vap will tell me all I need thatll work for me. I know the a1c is different; just stating what all I was getting done. I wish I'd had my bloodwork done before going primal but I guess only the current numbers truly matter at this point.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I would love any more insight anyone may have on the difference between these two tests!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    NMR tests for the vertical lipid profile (VLDL, HDL, small LDL, LARGE LDL, LARGE HDL), risk for cardiac event, and Insulin resistance... and can check for the ApoE ApoA genes If I remember correctly So if you have a history of cardiac disease in your family and want to get a good base line... go w/the NMR... The VAP is just the vertical lipid profile - though I think you can order a supped up one that will look at the genes as well...

my mom has heart disease so I got an NMR... that coupled with an HbA1c, and an hs CRP - told me I'm at low risk for a cardiac event... I'll probably get an NMR annually - but not every 6mths...

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    So an NMR is VAP plus a few other things, then?
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    So an NMR is VAP plus a few other things, then?
    yeah I would say so... you get the Insulin Resistance Factor, and the cardiac event predictor... & the Apo genes if you go for the Big NMR...