Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is better? 20 mins of swimming or 30 mins brisk walk. page

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member

Which is better? 20 mins of swimming or 30 mins brisk walk.

Primal Fuel
    when one is doing low carb.

by swimming i mean at a leisurely pace nothing fancy.

adamm is offline Senior Member
    What is better, apples, or oranges? Tomatoes or squash?

Whatever you like doing is fine. Do what you love the most, mix it up, have some fun. Walking is a bit lower intensity (which could be more or less useful depending on your other activities), but they both get the blood flowing and the body moving.

--Me

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Being low carb should not be a factor tbh.

Swimming is a good all around body exercise, walking adds some weigh bearing movement. Heck find a round about way to walk to the pool and do both.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    well at the moment i have a bit of a bum leg that keeps me from doing my normal walks after I cycle for a bit. swimming causes no problems though. Trying to get rid of the small amount of weight i've gained since surgery. I can't swim very well though. I do 2 laps sort of freestyle then a slow wade back the other way before 2 more laps resting a small amount between each.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Depends on where you are walking to IMHO, outside somewhere in nature is good for mind as well as body, not so much walking the concrete jungle and not seeing a tree or blade of grass. So I'd choose walking if I could get somewhere nice, and if not a swim is nice
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Heck find a round about way to walk to the pool and do both.
    +1

bostonwolf is offline Senior Member
    As someone said, doing either means your lapping anyone sitting on the couch.
    ----------
    Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.
    1/8/13: 303.5 | 2/12/13: 298.5 | 2/26/13 295 | 3/07/2013 291.5

Shalimar is offline Member
    Jamie, swimming is a great way to recover. You are doing the right thing. I recovered from back surgery by swimming, and more recently, from plantar fasciitis and knee problems.

Swimming takes a lot of effort. I started out being winded after 2 laps and now I can swim a mile, no problem. And now that my feet and knees have healed up, I can even start to run, as well as hike for miles. Just keep at it, stay off the leg for a while, and walk again when you are no longer hurting.

You might want to observe other swimmer's form as you swim(goggles will help). You might want to read up on proper swimming form for the different strokes, or take a class. Form, and especially breathing, can make your swim easier and more effective.
    "...forever wild..."
    Baxter State Park

55 years old, 5'4"
    1/1/11 weight: 172 and grumpy
    Lost 7 lbs on calories in, calories out
    Went paleo/primal 1/1/12
    Current weight: 144 and happy
    Goal weight is 130 more or less

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    If you walk and swim a lot then you'll probably feel better eating moderate carb, and moderate carbs over low carbs will facilitate being more active.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    If you walk and swim a lot then you'll probably feel better eating moderate carb, and moderate carbs over low carbs will facilitate being more active.
    Depends on your definition of low and moderate carb, and whether they're the same as the OP's
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast