Thread: Getting A Little Frustrated page

mauler5858 is offline Member

Getting A Little Frustrated

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys, I have been Primal now since Halloween. I had previously lost 24 pounds up until a week ago and I have been slowly putting it back on. My diet has been just fine and I have been fairly active. I, however, have put about 4 pounds back on in the last few days. I know that this can happen with muscle and whatnot, but being a guy in the mid two-hundreds with a gut, for me the scale seems to be an important factor. I have a cruise coming up in about 2.5 months that I would really like to be a little more slimmed down for if at all possible, but hiccups like this get aggravating.
    Starting Weight - 280lbs
    Current - 280bs
    Goal - Around 200lbs(will be focusing on the mirror and not the scale then)
    Working hard to make a healthier and more active me.

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mauler5858 View Post
    Hey guys, I have been Primal now since Halloween. I had previously lost 24 pounds up until a week ago and I have been slowly putting it back on. My diet has been just fine and I have been fairly active. I, however, have put about 4 pounds back on in the last few days. I know that this can happen with muscle and whatnot, but being a guy in the mid two-hundreds with a gut, for me the scale seems to be an important factor. I have a cruise coming up in about 2.5 months that I would really like to be a little more slimmed down for if at all possible, but hiccups like this get aggravating.
    I find I have to continue to tweak my food and exercise to continue weight loss. Maybe consider going to two meals if you are eating three, or change up the times...maybe brunch and a later dinner. Really look at your food and see of there is something you could live without. If you walk 3 miles a day, try 4 for a couple days. If you have time, take a nap. Maybe it isn't food, it is sleep. Re-read the Primal Blueprint, you may have let something slip as you got comfortable.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    4 pounds in a few days isn't fat. it's probably water.

if the scale is important to you, keep weighing yourself. but, don't weigh yourself a lot. once a week at the max would be my recommendation. your day to day weight can fluctuate based on the smallest things, like a little water retention or how well you slept the night before.
    i also recommend that each time you step on the scale, you grab a photo in the mirror and take measurements. sure, you want to lose weight, but your real goal is to be thinner, right? so start measuring that.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I agree with Rob. It's most likely just water weight or something similar. It takes a fairly long time for fat and muscle to come and go. It is noise in the signal. Here's what I mean from the Hacker's Diet: Floats and sinkers

sqidmark is offline Member
    You're not alone. I've made up my mind that I"m not going to let the fat win.

I've been primal since July and lost as much as 26lbs (5' 4", started at 172). However, since about Oct the scale has been reluctant to keep moving downward. Seems like 150 is tough for me to stay below. Over the past 3-4 weeks I have very gradually moved downward (to 146) but this past Sat I jumped back up 2lbs. I only get on the scale once a week because I find that my anxiety goes up and down with the scale, even though I know that minor fluctuations are meaningless. Still, I'm trending downward and I keep telling myself that the scale is only one indicator of many to use to measure one's state of health. All this time my clothes are fitting much looser (have had to replace most), and I"m visibly and measurably putting on more muscle (biceps from 11.5 to 13 since mid Nov). I also like to think that bone density is improving as well, but of course I have no way to know this.

I keep trying the various techniques (IF, macro ratios, exercise routines, walking, hiking etc) to change things up, but sometimes I think it's just going to take a while no matter what I do. I wonder if my body is at a point where all the (relatively sudden) changes need time to "equalize". Once that happens, it will hopefully resume it's fat burning ways. I have to keep in mind that as I'm getting closer to goal (about 15 to go), those last pockets of spare tire fat will stubbornly try to hang on as long as possible. I refuse to surrender!!

As discouraging as it is to see the scale move in the undesirable direction, my wife and I are now thinking we should only check our weight once a month.

All I can suggest is, hang in there, don't let it get to ya. Just keep on keepin' on and you'll win.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    If you look at graphs that really detailed people make of their weight loss it is NEVER linear. There are always peaks and valleys. Only track the general trend, not the daily fluctuation.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mauler5858 View Post
    1. The scale is not your friend. Scales lie. Your clothes will be more brutally honest with you.

2. Don't lose weight for a cruise. Do it for optimal health for now, and long past the cruise. Is the 10 or 20 lb you could lose between now and then really going to make a difference in how much you enjoy your vacation?

3. Eat for optimal health, move for body composition. Do you exercise?
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

mauler5858 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    1. The scale is not your friend. Scales lie. Your clothes will be more brutally honest with you.

2. Don't lose weight for a cruise. Do it for optimal health for now, and long past the cruise. Is the 10 or 20 lb you could lose between now and then really going to make a difference in how much you enjoy your vacation?

3. Eat for optimal health, move for body composition. Do you exercise?
    1. I have noticed this, and I try to make both happy. While the scale is not my friend at the moment, I can fit in my third belt loop much more comfortably.

2. I am for long term goal and not short fix. I would just prefer to be a little slimmer before the cruise. I cannot wait for some Caribbean sun!

3. Yes I do exercise. I work inside and get a lunch break and two 15 minute breaks. I workout at lunch (which helps keep me from going out to eat with coworkers) and most times I try to walk a mile on those 15 minute breaks. Its not outdoor activity, but its better than nothing.
    Starting Weight - 280lbs
    Current - 280bs
    Goal - Around 200lbs(will be focusing on the mirror and not the scale then)
    Working hard to make a healthier and more active me.

peropett is offline Junior Member
    It takes a fairly long time for fat and muscle to come and go.