Thread: low carb running/ketosis question page

zilog is offline Senior Member

low carb running/ketosis question

Primal Fuel
    Right, I have one question about ketosis in general and then one about running, possibly they are linked though.

After reading the Low Carb Performance book over xmas I decided to give it a go starting about 3 Jan. I do a weekly slow mixed road/trail run of about 8 miles which (high carb) never caused me any trouble. Last week (5 days into low carb experiment) about 5 miles in I started to feel lightheaded so walked for about a mile before resuming running at a slower pace. Felt awful afterwards for hours. This was the first time I had tested using Ketostix as they only arrived that morning (cannot buy them without prescription in UK). It tested MAX on the scale. I think almost certainly I was dehydrated on my run as for some reason I had drunk hardly any water that morning (normally have a lot more before a run) and also I'd had a coffee.

Have been keeping carbs low (not counting, but must be under 50) every day. Interestingly, having tested with Ketostix, after the first time it's always been about midway down the scale. I know Ketostix aren't the best way of measuring ketosis, could that be down to hydration though?

Had one day of slightly higher carbs at the weekend (again didn't count, probably at the lower end of 100-150 though) and will probably do this every week. Tested with Ketostix over the next couple of days and again tested to the middle of the scale.

Tested again before my run this morning and it tested totally negative. Not sure why this would be. Am I not in ketosis? Or has my body just completed it's "adaptation"? Anyway, felt great on the run. Didn't feel tired at any point and finished faster than I started.

Just wondering what this all means, and whether it would be a good idea to go low-carb all week and then "carb up" for a meal a day or two before my long run? What do other low-carb runners think?

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    How are your electrolytes? Phinney & Volek, and Peter Attia have noted the need to up your sodium due to the different way the body handles minerals when in ketosis. It's not just sodium, of course - hence the recommendation to have a cup of broth about 30 -60 minutes before engaging in exercise.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Firstly, it can take a while for ketosis to happen. And for some ketostix never show any thing even when in ketosis.
    I don't think you should be running while trying to adjust. Once you are fully burning fat for fuel (can take weeks or even longer for some) then you will start to feel better, and then could start running again.
    Also too much protein can kick you out of ketosis. There are links around, but check out the eat moar fat Jan challenge thread, I think the links could be there.

zilog is offline Senior Member
    How are your electrolytes? Phinney & Volek, and Peter Attia have noted the need to up your sodium due to the different way the body handles minerals when in ketosis. It's not just sodium, of course - hence the recommendation to have a cup of broth about 30 -60 minutes before engaging in exercise.
    Probably OK, I don't drink broth currently (I really should though!) but I use rock/himalayan salt liberally as well as supplementing with a multivitamin & magnesium/selenium. Funnily enough I did eat some himalayan salt about half an hour before my last run because I was trying to hydrate myself but didn't want to dilute my electrolytes!

I don't think you should be running while trying to adjust. Once you are fully burning fat for fuel (can take weeks or even longer for some) then you will start to feel better, and then could start running again.
    I think it happened for me fairly quickly. Since day 1 I've been keeping up my regular routine which is heavy weights 3x per week, sprints 1-2x per week, cycling the 8 miles to work and back every weekday, the long run once a week and squash at the weekend. I've literally only had one bad run (which I think maybe was more down to hydration/electrolytes). The big surprise for me is that I really feel no different. Not more energy, not less, I just feel exactly the same. I was kind of expecting to either suddenly feel really terrible OR feel amazing! I must be in ketosis/fat adapted though because virtually the only carbs I've been getting for the last 2 weeks have been from veg so definitely under 50g per day.

Also too much protein can kick you out of ketosis.
    Yes I am conscious of this, I think I'm 50-100g most days. I should probably start logging what I eat into MFP or something so I can get some more accurate numbers.

josephsam627 is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    By restricting carbohydrates drastically to a mere fraction of that found in the typical American diet, the body goes into a different metabolic state called ketosis, whereby it burns its own fat for fuel. Normally the body burns carbohydrates for fuel -- this is the main source of fuel for the brain, heart, and many other organs. A person in ketosis is getting energy from ketones, little carbon fragments that are the fuel created by the breakdown of fat stores. When the body is in ketosis, you tend to feel less hungry