Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Willing to Be My PB coach? I'm struggling so! Just for One Month? page

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member

Anyone Willing to Be My PB coach? I'm struggling so! Just for One Month?

Dear Community,

If you've read any of my journal, you know some of my story.

I'm going to be 55 years old in July. Two years ago, I was a lean, mean 140 lb. highly trained Crossfit addict and long-distance cyclist. About that time, my life took a turn for the overwhelmingly stressful when my older son, who has high functioning autism, developed bipolar disorder and panic disorder and we all had to adjust to his increasingly disability. Then my younger son was very ill for two years with HIS first episode of bipolar disorder.

My exercise was my stress relief, but I didn't recognize the signs of overtraining---I just kept pushing harder and harder despite the stress in an effort to recover the sense of well-being and vitality I was used to getting from HIIT or long cycling distances. But I finally broke----I developed severe spinal stenosis and required two extensive surgeries to stabilize my cervical spine.

So I spent the last two years recovering from those surgeries, and coping with my stressors. I will never be the athlete I was, but I have gained 50 pounds in two years and I am very, very uncomfortable with this much weight. Plus it's not good for my spine. It's taken almost the whole two years for me to be pain-free, but I finally am. I consider myself recovered from the surgeries, now I need to work on recovering my general health and vitality.

I've been an athlete with a beloved coach before. I work extremely well with a coach----I work very hard for that "attagirl" comment.

My goals are small: I want to aim for a full month of PB nutrition with food tracking and aim for nothing more than walking daily, and a very small number of modified pushups and unweighted squats a day ('greasing the groove').

I am not a very needy coach-ee, either. Once a day email exchange (or post here, whatever you choose) would work for me.

I'm willing to buy whoever volunteers for this 30-day commitment a pair of Vibrams of choice upon successful completion of my 30 day challenge.

Any well-established, highly ethical, energetic PBs willing to take me on?

Sooze

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    Sooze, your goals are very reasonable and highly attainable without a "personal" coach. You're looking for the same thing most of us are: 30 days at a time of primal living, moving slowly, and personal fitness accomplishments. Simply keeping a journal of your FitDay trackings and your thoughts for the day and posting it here in the Journals forum, will give you the "once a day email exchange (or post here, whatever you choose)" that you're looking for. You'll gain all of us, not just one person. But, if you simply need one person who will look for your journal every day and encourage you, I can easily do that for you. You don't need to buy anything for me, that's for sure! Besides, there are many people here who will encourage you and willingly hold you accountable for your commitments. You can do this; it's easy!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Sharonll, looks like your goals are very attainable. What do you need to keep you accountable? I think your focus should be on avoiding stress. You know what to eat, and you know you won't be working out too much.

I wouldn't mind exchanging e-mails, but I'm not a food tracker so I'm not sure if I could help you with that aspect of it, and since you plan on doing very light activity I'm also not sure how much help I'd be in that department. I would say keep at it with your journal here, but if you think it would help to correspond with somebody I'm sure you'll find somebody more knowledgeable here.

Can I sign up for a coach too? Sooze, your goals are pretty much the same as mine. I am also completely willing to "co-coach" with you. I'm fairly new at this, even if I do know all the rules (and keep breaking them), and I am exactly like you when it comes to encouragement. We could check up on each other and give encouragement, and maybe a swift kick in the booty when needed....
    Maybe we should make a thread/blog for a mentoring challenge, where any experienced members help out those of us who are struggling?
    "The rose petal floats on water. The kingfisher flashes above the pond. Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death."

-al'Lan Mandragoran
    "The Eye of the World" by Robert Jordan

Visit my blog: http://www.antihousewife.com/

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    sorry for the off-topic comment, but i see your in upstate in newyork. The adirondak high peaks is my favorite place in the country and i cant wait to do some barefoot hiking this summer!

Goodluck with your primal journey

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Sooze - do you have a FitDay account? Why don't you start a journal or a group (or a page in an already established group) and post there. You can make your FitDay diary public so we can see what you're eating. I'd be happy to check in on you daily too. If you feel more accountable via email - I'd be happy to exchange emails, too. But I think the group is always smarter than any single individual - the chaff is separated from the wheat much more efficiently.

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member
    *smile* Thank you, guys. It seems that I'm not only one looking for a little help.

I'm game to start a group support thread for the month of May....who's in? I'm really determined to meet these minimal goals of mine, it's clear to me that my life depends on my making time for myself for this self-care. So I'd be really committed to the group....who's in?

Sooze

I'm in for a group - but why don't we start it now? Make it a 5 week challenge? There's no point in waiting when we are motivated now. I already have a fitday, and I've made it public.... I'll start tracking on it (again) today. Here's the link until we get a group up.

Want me to get the group going, Sooze?
    "The rose petal floats on water. The kingfisher flashes above the pond. Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death."

-al'Lan Mandragoran

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lady_daraine View Post
    I'm in for a group - but why don't we start it now? Make it a 5 week challenge? There's no point in waiting when we are motivated now. I already have a fitday, and I've made it public.... I'll start tracking on it (again) today. Here's the link until we get a group up.

Want me to get the group going, Sooze?
    Get it going! I just created a fitday profile for this (I usually track on my computer and to sync with this internet account I'd have to pay for a premium account). Public link is here: http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...heysukisukinow

PrimalCon New York
    Ok, I'll start the group.... my fitday is http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...r=lady_daraine

-al'Lan Mandragoran

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast