Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avocado Storage page

brichter45 is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Hey guys i was just wondering the best way to store Avocados. Or can I split an avocado in half and safe the other half some how, i know the oxygen turns them brown so give me some tips here! Thanks!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

The best thing I've come up with is to mash it and freeze it. It's useful for much after it thaws out, but it makes good ice cream.

I ended up getting a bunch from Sam's Club and had to find a way to use them up. It works in a pinch.

Catalina is offline Member

I always save the other half--leave the pit in, and squeeze some lemon juice over it so it doesn't turn brown. It'll last a couple days in the fridge (if you can keep yourself from eating it for that long!)

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Honestly I put the unused half straight in the fridge. The dry air acts like a seal and slightly dehydrates the cut part, so no air exposure past the "seal". Try it sometime. I probably eat 3-4 avos a week and its what I do.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Karin Guest

Lemon/Lime juice does work great. Wrapping in plastic wrap helps, too. And honestly, it just LOOKS unappetizing..the brownish looking cut surface is still edible. Just put it in the fridge.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I just cut the brown skin off, don't do anything special otherwise.

TT, no wonder you can't loose weight! Ha ha, I honestly don't recall if that is a goal of yours.

The alligator pears (big think skinned avocadoes) are coming back into season here and the price is dropping, so I bought one yesterday. I'll have to start keeping a surreptitious eye on the neighbor's tree.

Did you know that these types of avocados are the "real" ones? That the Haas is a mutation, discovered in the last century? Natural GM, if you will.

CaveGirl Guest

I think the most important thing is to rememebr to store the half with the pit/stone still intact. Dpn't know why but it always holds up better than no pit/stone (less browning or mushy texture later on).

I learned this from quite a few Mexican restaurats I've been to (as well as Dominican family members that eat tons of that green goodness).

freshbakedpi is offline Junior Member

I put mine in the fridge too. I'm originally from SoCal so I'm a total avocado snob. I like mine slightly firm.. just ripe. Lemon juice kind of spoils the taste for me.

I store mine in the fridge before I even cut them. Once I cut them I put them back in the fridge (like Cave Girl- with the pit in tact!) & they don't turn brown for a while... like days (if they last that long ;o) )

I've also found that guac etc made with refrigerated avocados doesn't turn brown like those stored at room temp.

Mmmm... avocado...

OTB, why the HECK would someone NOT lose weight off of 3 - 4 Avocados a week? They're full of good fat! I eat one a day!

freshbakedpi is offline Junior Member

p.s. On The Bayou I did NOT know that! Fascinating! Evolution is at it again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast