Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too much liver pate? page 2

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Take-home from the above paper:
    "Vitamins A and D are toxic when provided alone, but safe when provided together. " Like in real foods. Besides at the risk of a WWGD analogy, do you really think Grok would turn down seconds on wooly mammoth liver because he was thinking about vitamin A toxicity? No. He would have stuffed his face and then maybe not had any for a while and would have been just fine.

Bummer. I should tell you how toxic that pate' is and then I might get some. Now I'll just have to make my own.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    ^Yup that is the take home. The more I look at supplements (even vitamin D) the more I'm realizing how unbalanced of an approach they are. No wonder the trials on their effectiveness are all over the board.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Dammit...
    Now I need to go shopping for stuff to make pate.

So delicious!

I wonder if CW guy is going to warn me that I'll OD on vitamin A because I'm going to eat a pound of liver this week.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    ^Yup that is the take home. The more I look at supplements (even vitamin D) the more I'm realizing how unbalanced of an approach they are. No wonder the trials on their effectiveness are all over the board.
    I just took my vitamin D supplement a.k.a. having breakfast outside and reading for about 45 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I just took my vitamin D supplement a.k.a. having breakfast outside and reading for about 45 minutes.
    Spoken like a spoiled Californian .....I just took my dog for a jog in 28 degree weather and no sun.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Spoken like a spoiled Californian .....I just took my dog for a jog in 28 degree weather and no sun.
    Awww... it's only sunny and 80 here.
    Rockin the power of wifi!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Awww... it's only sunny and 80 here.
    Rockin the power of wifi!
    Bah, I'm surrounded by gloating sun worshipers.....I think I need to move to a sunnier climate myself. On a happier note I'm thawing out some lamb liver thanks to this thread OP.

cantare is offline Senior Member
    Just bought liver myself, but take 10,000 IU D3 daily for over a year now...got my blood levels up to high-normal. how's this D toxicity manifest itself anyway?

Actually 28 degrees isn't out of line for recent mornings here in NorCal/SF Bay... My favorite trail (up the E side of a mountain) has had frost/ice on it all last week. still got the sunshine tho.
    6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
    ― Søren Kierkegaard

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I wonder if CW guy is going to warn me that I'll OD on vitamin A because I'm going to eat a pound of liver this week.
    Count me in. It's a rare week that I don't eat a pound of chicken liver. Even before primal, chicken livers sauteed in wine/vermouth with onions was one of my favorite meals.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Quote Originally Posted by cantare View Post
    Just bought liver myself, but take 10,000 IU D3 daily for over a year now...got my blood levels up to high-normal. how's this D toxicity manifest itself anyway?
    Oh if you read that masterjohn link you'll see that one thing is increased incident of kidney stones. Seems to me that the people at most risk are those on SAD that never even heard of liver that are now supplementing D like there is no tomorrow.. If your eating that liver regularly I don't think I'd be as concerned as your getting lots of vitamin A to work with that D.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12