Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Primal Journal (StephenUSA) page 2

StephenUSA is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Things are going pretty well. I had a decent April and a bad May. I have really been misbehaving diet wise this month and I'm paying the price for it. But all in all, maybe it's not the worst thing in the world to stray from time to time.

My overall weight was around 177-179 at the end of April. I'll weigh myself next week, but I'm expecting somewhere between 181-184. I'll give myself a fresh start in June (starting today). The end of June marks the end of my "Phase 1" plan. That is just something I came up with myself. I've mostly been dieting, but now I plan to incorporate some exercise too.

That will be my phase II which will take me all the way to the end of 2013.

Overall, my current loss is about 40 pounds. No matter what happens in June, that is a big step forward for me!

I underestimated myself. My tally was 176, so that is minus two pounds. Not great for a month, but for all the gluttony and indulgence last month, I'll take it.

I'm hoping to have a nice, clean June and end the first half of 2013 on a health note. I weigh loss right now than I have since I was 21.

June is over. So, I did my morning weighing and am also reflecting on my 8 months being primal.

Here are some numbers:

I started at 218 pounds.

I now weigh 170.

So here are some thoughts:

1) The primal lifestyle works for weight loss. I wasn't 100% militant about it. I did occasionally have other meals with friends, an ice cream, etc from time to time. But I tried to stick to my plan 95% of the time. There were a couple of months I had very small weight loss or no loss at all. However, there were no months where I gained.

2) I think I should have exercised more. I think part of embracing the primal lifestyle is more than food, but it is recreating a way of life. Our ancestors assuredly did not eat meat and sit around all day. I'm starting to exercise now, and we'll see how that helps me.

3) I didn't find the diet to be very expensive. My usual food stuffs included about a week's worth of vegetables, 5 portions of meat - typically chicken or more rarely a steak of some sort, some nuts. The variety is really in the meat/vegetables. Various oils and butters. I spend 35-50 dollars in a typical week for myself, or overall a 200.00 grocery bill monthly. While this may seem like a lot, it is very little compared to eating out.

4) I didn't miss the things I couldn't eat very much. And when I did miss them, I just ate them. But I found myself so satisfied on my diet, I didn't miss them very often.

5) My only concern is that my cholesterol numbers are very high. Now, there could be a few things there. It could be related to my weight loss. It could be that eating so much fat and not exercising is a bad idea, even on primal. Or it might be that you have to be comfortable to chuck some conventional wisdom about medicine to be fully comfortable on the primal lifestyle.

I really wish I had checked my levels before doing primal. For all I know my levels were 1000 and have drastically come down. Or, it could have been 100 and shot up. With only one reference point, I have absolutely no idea.

Other than that, I'm in good health and I have felt great eating primally.

So for anyone considering this lifestyle, I would say that it isn't too expensive, you eat some pretty delicious things, and it definitely works if you stick to it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12