I'm a self styled food mad scientist. There ain't a food out there that I wont try to ferment just to see what happens. I've been hacking up white potatoes and fermenting them for a week or more before cooking. The idea being to convert some of the starch to whatever good stuff my little microbial buddies decide to make.

They're not very versatile (they turn into mashed potatoes no matter what), but they are delicious. They don't need salt, since I reuse sour kraut brine (1 cup fancy sea salt per gallon of pre-boiled or filtered water, then poured over cabbage to sit for a week or 4) and they also require no sour cream cause they're already sour. Just add a bunch of butter and you're good.

Here's the thing: I can't find any good research on the effects of fermentation on the glycoalkaloids. I assume it breaks them down, as fermentation seems to kill most antinutrients to some degree. Only reference I can find is to the fact that it's not practical to implement on a commercial scale, hence not done. Thanks capitalism, you never fail to disappoint.