Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Ladies!!! How many calories do you eat?... page 6

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I'm so distracted, lol. I forgot to finish my butter story.

After a month of craving it straight, up to a stick a day, the craving just stopped. Flat. I couldn't even force myself to eat butter straight. Apparently I had filled some long suppressed need, and was done.

To this day, if any of my children want to eat butter straight (or CO), I let them. I trust their instincts on this one. It comes and goes, usually isn't there at all, and is always self-limiting when it is.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    I'm in maintenance mode now so we'll see if I need to readjust calories. I am running around 1900 calories most days, about 60-68% fat, low carb, usually 50 grams or less most days. Still under 100 grams on higher carb days. During weight loss mode I was at 1500-1800 calories and similar ratios of high fat. I eat plenty of butter, cheese, coconut oil, avocado etc.

As a young child I was thin and sickly. We lived on a dairy farm so had plenty of butter and cream. Looking back, I LOVED butter and ate it plain. I also preferred cheese over candy. I think my body was trying to heal me and craved the vitamin K2 and butyric acid in butter. By the time I reached my teens I was normal and healthy and had a good figure.

I still love butter but don't crave it or feel the need to eat it plain.

nivia is offline Junior Member
    MamaGrok OMG Thank you so much for your replies. I have had many of the same conditions you mentioned... bloating (even if I didn't eat much), fatigue, dry skin, nails, and hair, water retention (there was a diuretic in my bc which I think started to have a negative effect on me, so I got off it)... I'm hoping eating the primal way will help. I already have less bloating

When I mentioned my parents and family history, I was trying to say that's why I want to try the primal lifestyle because it's totally opposite of their lifestyle. I know I can make changes and not end up with CVD.. I'm hoping to never get these conditions.

I was pretty much raised on anything that could be made with ground beef, potatoes, rice, beans, bread, and tortillas, and cheap packaged foods (lots of those industrial oils you mentioned). We also always thought that cooking with canola oil was healthy. We also always had cereal and milk, and there was a time in my life when I could eat an entire box of cereal in two days if someone did not get after me. I guess that is why this transition is so difficult.. I have also been anorexic and abused diet pills from China until I could not get them anymore. Within months after I stopped taking them, I gained all the weight back and then some. My metabolism is totally screwed, so this is an adjustment, but I don't want to give up.. I've accepted that the weight loss will come slowly.. It's about my health now.

Thanks everyone for your replies! We should have a girls only forum

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Nivia - I hope you've had your free T3 checked?

Your histsory paragraph could have been mine (except I had BED instead of AN).
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

oxide is offline Senior Member
    On a good day, 1200-1250 calories. Here are my rough macros:

Carbs are around 80 g (320 cal)
    Protein around 77g (308 cal)
    Balance is fat (600 cal)

So about 50% fat, and 25% carb and protein. I cheat often with 150-200 cal. It sounds like too few calories, but I'm only 5'0'" under 105 pounds, and sedentary. And the menu fills me up, so I figure I'm fine.

I do eat slivers of butter, but less than I used to. I used to eat a couple tablespoons, now I lose interest after about 1/2 tablespoon. If you try butter, I recommend the salted butter first. It has more flavor.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    I'm so distracted, lol. I forgot to finish my butter story.

After a month of craving it straight, up to a stick a day, the craving just stopped. Flat. I couldn't even force myself to eat butter straight. Apparently I had filled some long suppressed need, and was done.

To this day, if any of my children want to eat butter straight (or CO), I let them. I trust their instincts on this one. It comes and goes, usually isn't there at all, and is always self-limiting when it is.
    That's interesting. When I first started PB I was craving CO like crazy, slurping it up by the spoonful. Then suddenly, the very smell of it made me want to gag but I was craving butter. Now I'm back to using both in moderation. I like coconut oil for cooking but eating it straight up does not appeal.

I always used to sneak butter snacks as a kid. Now I do sometimes just without the sneaking.

I guess sometimes the body knows what it needs.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    So...how do you know when the body goes on a bingefest for high-grain foods after you eat them that it's not an instinct for the nutrition it needs?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    So...how do you know when the body goes on a bingefest for high-grain foods after you eat them that it's not an instinct for the nutrition it needs?
    Oh, there is definitely such a thing as taking the "listen to your body" thing too far. Basically you have to be able to trust that your body has its head on straight and is not telling you lies or just confused babble.

So I would say if you are still hearing the siren song of the cookies, tell your body to put a sock in it and have a cup of tea.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    It probably is. If it happens with high fat foods why not carbohydrates.

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    To me, the difference is so many have sugar metabolism problems, screwing our cravings towards a short term elevated blood sugar, rather than real nutritional needs. So a craving for grain or sugar could be a disorder talking, instead of your body so to speak. Cravings for carbs, to me, are suspect. Of course, craving carbs is a natural thing, but for me, my body would happily crave them into infinity. It's broken. So that kind of craving I'm very leery of. Certainly a grain craving which isnt nutritious, with our freak grains of today. A craving for an apple, where half of an apple is just what I need and leaves me feeling better, yea that's real. A craving for a nutritionless donut, I know that's simply a desire for elevated blood sugar levels. There's nothing good there! I do crave rice which I will allow once I'm at my goal weight, but for now, too bad, so sad. I'm seeing hints of my abdominal muscles which I have never seen before in my life. Rice is not getting in the way of that!

Also craving that only occur once I smell or see a high carb food, suspect!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast