Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies!!! How many calories do you eat?... page 4

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sorry I haven't read any other responses, but thought I'd throw my N=1 in. I don't count calories, but I eat >65g protein for breakfast of any kind of meat (I eat the whole animal, so it's a total mix of lean & fatty, also, many kinds of seafood) and I throw on two heaping tablespoons of fat (usually CO or bacon grease). I don't need lunch after that, lol, and I eat probably 30-50gm protein most nights, with all the fat naturally in the meat, plus usually some cooking fat. (Not counting veggie calories, b/c they're negligible.)

I've been eating Weston Price style (primal + "properly prepared" grains) for 6 years, primal for 3 years, strict paleo for 1 year.

The results:
    * 50lb lost
    * binge eating disorder 99% conquered
    * triglycerides now lower than my HDL and have been since the first year after I went primal
    * improvements in hypothyroidism, chronic & severe bloating, water retention, eternally dry skin, chronic fatigue, etc., etc. First page of my journal lists all the ones I've thought of so far

Fat is crucial for health. If you're not yet convinced, read some success stories here and definitely read some of Weston Price's research. YOU CANNOT HAVE LIFELONG GOOD HEALTH WITHOUT ANIMAL FAT. No, you don't have to go crazy with it, but you must have it. Not skimped on.

Don't say, ,"My mom had two heart attacks despite fat-free, so I'm doomed to bad CVD in my family." Your mom likely had two heart attacks BECAUSE of fat-free, and especially because of the grains she was likely filling up on b/c of the lack of fats.

The first week I allowed myself to eat fat, I ate A STICK OF BUTTER A DAY, straight, b/c I craved it so much. I had been fatfree for 15 years, and my body was positively starved for vitamins A, D, & K2, all of which are critical to nutrient absorption. Did you know that you can't absorb all the minerals in your veggies if you don't consume those vitamins? That's part of why the native Americans talked of "rabbit starvation" - they knew that all the lean protein in the world wouldn't matter a bit if you had no fat, b/c you would literally starve for nutrients even though you had plenty of food, water-soluble vitamins, & minerals.

Anyway, back to the butter. I don't see many other people having that kind of craving, but my point is, I butter like gangbusters and didn't gain a pound. We MUST stop thinking of food as calories, and start thinking of it as fuel & information, info that tells your body what to do with its hormones & organs & systems. There is no health, no lifelong health that is so hardy it gets passed down generation to generation, without animal fat. End of story.

(BTW, cellulite is often a result of excess industrial oils (like soy, canola, corn, etc.). Your body needs quality sat fats to fill the fat cells that are necessary. If you fill them with crappy oils, they get dimply.)
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 01-15-2013 at 04:54 PM.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Wise words as usual MG

Sue there is no way in hell I could fit in anymore calories than I am without overeating.
    I am not going there again that is for sure. Over eating, is one of the reasons I got over weight in the first place, among tons of others.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Sue there is no way in hell I could fit in anymore calories than I am without overeating.
    I am not going there again that is for sure. Over eating, is one of the reasons I got over weight in the first place, among tons of others.
    Yeh I read from being a binger for 9 years. Just something for you to think about. I started low carb over 10 years ago. Tried to get to goal weight but kept yo yo dieting. I just couldn't give up the carbs completely or should I say eat such a low amount. Felt great when losing weight but couldn't stick to it. After finally abandoning low carb close to goal weight now and not yo yoing. I was the student in my naturopathic classes informing the lecturers about low carb benefits and letting them know how wrong they are about cholesterol. All the while my weight kept going up and down. I do wish you all the best. Hopefully it works for you.

HopelessDreamer is offline Senior Member
    i seem to be in the minority of women, because i eat alot: about 2500 cals/day, according to fitday.com. i get about 60% from fat, 25% from protein and 10-20% from carbs. i simply get really hungry if i eat less than that.
    this past year i have gone gluten free, and although i am not losing any more weight, i am at a healthy weight. i know i have gained muscle, my joints dont ache, i am not chronically congested and my blood work is awesome.
    And I LOVE BUTTER! especially after not having any for years..its good to have it back! and coffee with CREAM - real, heavy whipping cream!
    Anyone who says to stay away from animal fats because of cholesterol is IGNORANT and has swallowed the CW nonsense!
    Do your homework by reading books written by paleo/primal people, and get facts NOT foolishness. Good luck to you!
    Last edited by HopelessDreamer; 01-15-2013 at 05:16 PM.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HopelessDreamer View Post
    i seem to be in the minority of women, but i eat about 2500 cals/day, according to fitday.com. i get about 60% from fat, 25% from protein and 10-20% from carbs.
    this past year i have gone gluten free, and although i am not losing any more weight, i am fine at this weight. i know i have gained muscle, my joints dont ache, i am not chronically congested and my blood work is awesome. And I LOVE BUTTER! especially after not having any for years..its good to have it back! and coffee with CREAM - real, heavy whipping cream!
    Anyone who says to stay away from animal fats because of cholesterol is IGNORANT and has swallowed the CW nonsense!
    Do your homework by reading books written by paleo/primal people, and get facts NOT foolishness. Good luck to you!
    Are you fine with your weight or just settling?
    Don't just read books written by paleo/primal folks as you develop too much of a bias.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    Yeh I read from being a binger for 9 years. Just something for you to think about. I started low carb over 10 years ago. Tried to get to goal weight but kept yo yo dieting. I just couldn't give up the carbs completely or should I say eat such a low amount. Felt great when losing weight but couldn't stick to it. After finally abandoning low carb close to goal weight now and not yo yoing. I was the student in my naturopathic classes informing the lecturers about low carb benefits and letting them know how wrong they are about cholesterol. All the while my weight kept going up and down. I do wish you all the best. Hopefully it works for you.
    I am not deprived, and have no desire for a lot of carbs, so its not like I am struggling through this, ya know?
    Its working so will continue this path for now Everyone is different.

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    Are you fine with your weight or just settling?
    Don't just read books written by paleo/primal folks as you develop too much of a bias.
    What do you mean by "settling"? Do you mean that "settling" implies that someone who is happy being stronger with joints that don't ache is somehow falling short of an ideal goal we should all strive towards?

HopelessDreamer is offline Senior Member
    settling?! no one who looks at me would think i am "fat". the most amazing thing is I DONT think i am fat! I am actually happy with myself, which is a new feeling for me. i did not spend my life "fat", i only gained weight as i got older. but now its gone, 30 pounds of FAT is gone! my clothes fit, and like i said i feel so much better! a few years ago i woke up every day in pain. now that's gone, too!
    and by the way, over the past twenty-five years i have read so many different points of view on diet,and most of it turned out to be wrong, and did not work for me, that now i have found what works, i recommend it. if i am biased towards paleo, it is because of my time doing other things that FAILED. so i've "been there and done that" and therefore i know what is bad for my body. Primal works for me, and the OP is getting started here, so should read up on it.
    Last edited by HopelessDreamer; 01-15-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Yep not waking up in pain every day is a huge bonus of this way of eating for me. And I am really only at the beginning of my journey.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast