Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water weight? page

Suse is offline Senior Member

Water weight?

Primal Fuel
    Can someone explain it in simple terms for me. I often hear people say about people that have lost weight in the early stages "oh that'll be water weight". And I remember watching an episode on the biggest loser (aussie version) where someone was water loading so that they would have extra weight on so that someone else would go home (I never could figure that one out)... and I often hear that we'll flush out extra water weight that we're holding onto once we start to drink enough.... dont know about you, but I just find the whole thing quite confusing. I'm not a big water drinker at all.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I don't think you can retain water simply by drinking a lot--the healthy body naturally will flush out excess.

The water weight that people lose is typical on low carb diets in the first week. Apparently, there are glycogen stores in the muscles that are dumped due to lack of carbs (moving from burning carbs for energy to burning fat). That's why when people go off plan and eat a high carb meal or two, they will report "gaining" 3-4 lbs 'instantly.' It's the water retention--reversing the process that low carbing causes.

In addition, the body doesn't like losing weight. So at various times in the weight loss process, people will worry about a "stall" of a week or two. What can be happening is that as a person empties fat cells (burned for energy), the body will fill those same cells with water. This is always temporary, but the individual who relies on the scale will assume that he/she is not losing (or even gaining a little), when it's just the body's last ditch effort to hold onto weight.

Also, individuals often have unique water retention issues. For example, I'm hypothyroid, and if my meds are off, I'll find myself retaining water. In addition, throughout my life, if I get a virus or the flu, for some reason my body will instantly retain a lot of water. As I get better, I find myself in the bathroom a lot!

A.M. Roots is offline Member
    emmie, great post. I totally pee a bunch in the middle of the night when I am in ketosis. Did it once before for 4wks. And lost 10 fast ones. Unfortunately it was on a program called Ideal Protein where you ingest these weird packets of calories. Nasty! I was curious. I'm so happy I found MDA! Just starting again, and this time the difference is real food and high-fat nutrition. So when I start to pee more I'll know I'm on my way.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Water weight as I understand it is water in and around the body's tissue. You're right, drinking a lot of water will just cause your system to filter it out and you'll have to go more. I've heard that this is a good though though because it takes toxins and removes your body's waste faster than when less water is consumed. The retention part is more of a function of sodium intake. If more sodium is consumed then more water is also needed to balance out the salinity of the body's tissue. Sweating a lot is also a good method of removing both sodium and water. So, when you exercise a lot and a you lose a lot of weight quickly it's most likely water and sodium (water weight) that's been lost as opposed to actual fat.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    Water weight as I understand it is water in and around the body's tissue. You're right, drinking a lot of water will just cause your system to filter it out and you'll have to go more. I've heard that this is a good though though because it takes toxins and removes your body's waste faster than when less water is consumed. The retention part is more of a function of sodium intake. If more sodium is consumed then more water is also needed to balance out the salinity of the body's tissue. Sweating a lot is also a good method of removing both sodium and water. So, when you exercise a lot and a you lose a lot of weight quickly it's most likely water and sodium (water weight) that's been lost as opposed to actual fat.
    so the less sodium (or salt) I am having in or with my food, the less water my body will retain??? But I also need sodium dont I, so I suppose getting the balance right is the thing.

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    Figured I'd continue this thread rather than start a new one.

So the water weight thing is something I'm fairly concerned with. I started eating Primal about a week ago and by the scale have dropped about 8 lbs. Is this all water weight? I mean I can put on a few shirts that used to be a tad too tight now. What really concerns me is now my body is running on 8 less pints of water??? That sounds like a bad thing... I don't hover over the scale and pore over the numbers, but I do like taking all the data down.

Emmie if the glycogen stores in the muscles are dumped shouldn't they get refilled? I'm still pretty fuzzy on how this works.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    FWIW water and fat are buffers for toxins. remove the toxins remove the need.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

MvEssen is offline Senior Member
    The waterweight you lose when going primal is probably the water of your glycogencells. Glycuse is stored as glycogen in your muscle's and liver's glycogencells. When you stop eating carbs you'll first empty these cells. They can hold up to 500-600gr of 'carbs' as far as I know and for each 1gr of that the cell is also filled with 3gr of water.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    ALL the weight you lose when you begin low carbing isn't water--just a large percentage of it.

You also should be careful about restricting salt because low carb eating tends to be diuretic--so you are losing water regularly. That's why it's important to drink fluids--to stay hydrated. Since you are always losing water, you are losing salt and potassium as well, and it's important to maintain electrolyte balance. I not only use a lot of salt, but I also add "NoSalt" which is pure potassium. I don't retain water with this; but I maintain a good electrolyte balance.

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by impala454 View Post
    Figured I'd continue this thread rather than start a new one.

So the water weight thing is something I'm fairly concerned with. I started eating Primal about a week ago and by the scale have dropped about 8 lbs. Is this all water weight? I mean I can put on a few shirts that used to be a tad too tight now. What really concerns me is now my body is running on 8 less pints of water??? That sounds like a bad thing... I don't hover over the scale and pore over the numbers, but I do like taking all the data down.

Emmie if the glycogen stores in the muscles are dumped shouldn't they get refilled? I'm still pretty fuzzy on how this works.
    Keep in mind the glycogen stored in muscles is not and cannot be used for anything besides local use by the muscle. Yes they can be refilled with enough carb intake. endurance athletes do it on purpose. People wanting the increased insulin sensitivity keep them depleted by managing carb intake and working the muscle at an intensity the requires it to use that "stored for local use only" glycogen. Each gram of stored glycogen brings 2.7grams of water with it(I've read as high as 4gram).
    Last edited by pyro13g; 06-13-2011 at 10:22 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast