Thread: Not exactly a New Guy, but newly motivated page

Dignan is offline Junior Member

Not exactly a New Guy, but newly motivated

Primal Fuel
    Hello all.

I discovered MDA and the Primal lifestyle at the beginning of 2012. I adhered closely to the nutrition aspect of the lifestyle through the first 4 months of the year, and stuck with the exercise aspect throughout most of the year. So while I ended the year at almost exactly the same weight as I started, eliminating "chronic cardio", working in slower cardio (75% MHR at maximum) and lots of lifting heavy things, I ended up with a substantially better body composition if not a lower bodyweight.

Still, I feel like last year was a little bit of a failure, and am revitalizing my efforts.

In an effort to lean out a bit. I've added IF (only dinner M-F); I am keeping carbs below 50 (almost all veggies (the carbs, that is), but a protein shake with greek yogurt and whole milk (30-40g of carbs all told) a few times a week; ramping up my sleep to 9-10 hours; and keeping with the exercise plan: 45-60 min of spinning (75% MHR) 5 times a week, lifting heavy things 1-2 times per week, and 2 tabata sessions doing kettelbell swings 1-2 times per week.

While I am only a week into the plan, I feel great and I don't feel deprived which is jugely important to me being able to stick with it. I think I am running a bit of a caloric deficit just from only eating one meal and avoiding snacks, but it isn't bothering me. My hope is that by combining IF, low carb, and a caloric deficit, I will see some fairly dramatic improvement after a few weeks, which will provide some additional positive reinforcement.

My 2013 goal is to drop 20-30 pounds from my Jan 1 start of 220# - by "swimsuit season" if possible, and then maintain through the rest of the year. My longer-term goal is to get to the point where I am in good enough shape that I can shift to being 80-90% Primal on occasion, an occasionally indulge in pizza or ice cream with my kids, or eggnog at Christmas, or have a couple of slices of hot bread with butter when I go out to dinner without feeling guilty.

But since I want to make sure that I don't just lose 10-15 pounds and then figure I can indulge in some of these things and then end up back at my start weight again, I am going to focus on hitting my goal weight, maintaining it for 6 months, and only then start working non-primal foods back in occasionally. And who knows, maybe by then those indulgence foods may lose much of their appeal, making it easier to indulge in moderation.

We'll see!

Dignan is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm still here, woot! I'll move this to the Primal Journal section, but I just wanted to do an update since so many people were kind enough to read my initial post.

I've managed to stick to primal almost 100%, with the exception being that I stupidly ate some breaded chicken in a salad at a work event, which made me really sick (it actually triggered a migraine), which at the time was awful, but in retrospect it was a gift.

According to the scale I am down about 10 pounds since Jan 1 (I really only kicked off for real on Jan 6), and my clothes are getting a bit baggy.

Other changes that I've noticed:

- My appetite is much lower, IF is incredibly (I'm only eating between 6pm and 9pm) easy as long as I have a couple of cups of coffee with heavy cream in the morning. Working out near the tail-end of the fast is also easy, and I am seeing more muscle definition, but sadly, I am still probably a good 30-40 pounds from washboard abs.

- Although I am not trying to restrict calories, I'm having a hard time consuming more than 1500 calories a day, which being north of 200# doesn't seem like much. My energy levels are great, so I don't think I am starving myself.

- I have gone from 6-7 hours of sleep to 9-10. My interest in electronic entertainment is diminished, and so most nights I've been going to bed early and reading until I fall asleep.

Cheers.