Thread: T2D; blood sugar goes UP after a.m. workout page

me jane is offline Senior Member

T2D; blood sugar goes UP after a.m. workout

Shop Now
    Hi. I'm a Type 2 diabetic. I workout at the gym (30 minutes of combined cardio & weights) at 7am a couple days a week.

Before workout I generally drink a cup of black coffee w/1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil in it, then eat breakfast after the workout. I thought by eating fat before the workout I would be training my body to use fat for fuel, but....I've noticed that my post-workout blood glucose is always higher, by 20-30 clicks, than the reading I got when I first got up. Is my body too used to using blood glucose for fuel, and therefore creating its own when I start exercising?

I take meds (Byetta & metforming) with breakfast, and as the morning progresses my blood sugar comes down and is around 100 by lunchtime.

I have not been religiously Primal of late, but am working on it yet again. I know this will influence my blood sugars.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any info/insight/hacks you can give. Am wondering if I should try eating half a banana or something before I work out.

samknox is offline Junior Member
    High-intensity exercise causes an elevation in blood sugar post-exercise. For most of us, "high-intensity" means 90% of maximum heart-rate, but it can be as low as 70% depending on the individual.

So, are you saying it's a temporary spike and nothing to worry about? I could be okay with that. I did a couple high intensity activities in my workout.

Quote Originally Posted by me jane View Post
    So, are you saying it's a temporary spike and nothing to worry about? I could be okay with that. I did a couple high intensity activities in my workout.
    It should be. I did a little write-up here:

Exercise Intensity and Diabetes: HIIT Me? A Worldly Monk
    Last edited by samknox; 01-14-2013 at 02:44 PM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by samknox View Post
    It should be. I did a little write-up here:

Exercise Intensity and Diabetes: HIIT Me? A Worldly Monk
    Interesting write up there Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Interesting write up there Sam
    Thanks.

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Dr. Bernstein talks about this in his "Diabetes Solution" book. I'm a type 1 diabetic, and I take a wee bit of humalog (quick acting insulin) prior to working out to keep my blood sugars stable. In short, when you are stressing muscles (ie exercise) beyond a certain point, your liver amps up the gluconeogenesis to provide fuel for the muscles which are rapidly depleting glycogen stores. As a type 1 on insulin I can compensate for this. As a type 2 who is not on insulin, it will cause your body to create more insulin to compensate (which, as someone with type 2 is impaired). At the same time, it increases your insulin sensitivity, so your net load of stress on your pancreas over the course of a longer period of time is reduced.

--Me

Thanks, all. I'll read Bernstein's info about it.