Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm in Ketosis! Any long-time primals on here? page

jicamamama is offline Junior Member

I'm in Ketosis! Any long-time primals on here?

Primal Fuel
    I started eating 80% primal 2 days ago..basically eating eggs/cheese for breakfast, huge salads with protein for lunch, and handfuls of nuts to satiate any snacky feelings. I've had little carby items here or there but really I've done well my first couple days.

When I started the plan I had no expectations of getting into ketosis. Tonight I came across an old container of Ketostix I had in my medicine cabinet. Just for the heck of it I tested one out. Sure enough, I am in the dark purple shade of ketosis tonight lol. I knew my breath was horrible today for a reason!

There is a part of me that is very shocked by the findings tonight. Many years ago, I was on an Atkins-style plan (except I ate tons of veggies). I lost a ton of weight and remember feeling the happiest and healthiest in my entire life. However after a year on the plan, I found it harder and harder for my body to flip over into that ketogenic state after eating any kind of carb at all. Eventually my body would not flip over into ketosis at all and I started gaining my weight back. It was almost as if my body became ketosis resistant after a year of being religiously low-carb.

Has anyone else experienced this? Have any of you been eating low carb successfully for more than a year?

I am excited about being back on this way of eating, however I am very fearful that the same thing is going to happen again. I will lose my weight and then become ketosis resistant.
    Last edited by jicamamama; 04-21-2010 at 08:36 PM.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    Ketosis resistant? I've never heard of that... Do you have any medical issues or something? Are you using the strips to determine you're out of ketosis, or are you just assuming so because you're not consistently losing weight anymore?

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    As I understand it, those ketosis strips go bad within about a month of being opened. Were they leftover from your Atkins days?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I have no clue if I'm in ketosis or not, but I know I've been VLC for at least a good month and a half now so theoretically I should be. I'll probably get a ketosis strip to see.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Yes after a while your body adapts, it is a survival technique. For instance if there were no carbs for over a year, your body would have to become more and more and more efficient in using ketones as fuel. This would also make it so it takes less and less carbs to get into ketosis. I guess that's another benefit of the re-feed if you consider it a re-feed.

It's not ketone-resistance, the only people who could even achieve that are type 1 diabetics, and they should NEVER do ketosis diets.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

ChrisJ is offline Member
    @EGY:
    Why shouldn't type 1 diabetics do ketosis diets? I'm fairly certain that Bernstein is a strong advocate of a VLC diet for type 1 diabetics, or are his recommendations outside the range of ketogenesis.

I am aware that ketoacidosis is a dangerous complication of type 1 diabetes, but that is caused by hyperglycemia, and is in no way connected with ketosis.

coach81 is offline Senior Member
    I love Ketosis breath!!! Not so much the smell.. but the fact that it is there, reasures me that I am on the PB!!!

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Ketosis doesn't work that way. Your body can't just decide to *not* use ketones in the absence of glucose. You're ketone adapted. Not ketone resistant.

And if you're using the strips: when you first go into ketosis, your body wastes a lot of the excess and those get expelled in your urine and breath. As your body adapts to burning ketones - it becomes more efficient and there is less waste. So your ketostix become pretty useless - even though you're still in ketosis.

And think of losing weight in terms of percentages rather than pounds. And better yet, look at body fat percentage.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EGYnutrition View Post
    Yes after a while your body adapts, it is a survival technique. For instance if there were no carbs for over a year, your body would have to become more and more and more efficient in using ketones as fuel. This would also make it so it takes less and less carbs to get into ketosis. I guess that's another benefit of the re-feed if you consider it a re-feed.

It's not ketone-resistance, the only people who could even achieve that are type 1 diabetics, and they should NEVER do ketosis diets.
    Huh?

My hubby is type 1 and has been the healthiest he's ever been on a VLC diet. He hasn't had to take insulin in forever. His endocrinologist is baffled. We both giggle while she sends him for more testing and he teases her by saying he's cured himself of diabetes. (disclaimer: we both know there is no cure for diabetes, but it sure riles up the Dr!!! lol)

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    I won't talk about cures for diabetes.

But as far as I know, type 1 diabetics lack the ability of feedback loops and thus risk ketoacidosis... That's my understanding as once ketones get above 4-6mmol it is dangerous, which is why ketones also have the ability to increase insulin if necessary and slow FFA release, but since type 1 diabetics cant produce insulin, this is a problem.

Maybe im wrong but that's just what I've studied/read from lyle's material.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast