Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many times have you lost the weight? page

sbhikes is offline Senior Member

How many times have you lost the weight?

How many of you have lost the weight before finding ancestral diets? How many times did you do it?

Personally, I have lost weight at least once each decade of my adult life. And gained it all back again.

1. When I was 16 I lost the weight through starvation dieting. I kept it off through continued starvation (goal of 500 calories a day) for almost a year.

2. When I was in my 20s I lost some of the weight by being a college student without a parking permit. I had to walk a mile with my books. It only lasted as long as college.

3. In my 30s I lost the weight with a low-carb, low-fat vegetarian diet plus tons of strenuous exercise. After I got the weight off, I rebounded a bit but managed to slow the rate of insidious weight gain doing what many people (including my doctor) considered to be extreme amounts of physical exercise.

4. In my 40s I went on two long-distance backpack trips (over 1000 miles). I lost weight both times. I gained it back immediately after each hike despite efforts to eat less and keep exercising.

5. In my 40s I tried low carb/high fat and Primal and lost weight. I have kept it off almost a year. I have not had to do insane amounts of exercise, which is nice. I feel a sense of trust that as long as I do not overeat, I will not have to starve or exercise my brains out to avoid insidious weight gain.

I'll admit it makes me mad when people say that fat people are lazy and don't try hard enough. I have probably walked, ran and cycled more miles than the majority of young men on this forum ever will in their entire lives and I'm pretty sure I've gone to bed hungry more days than they ever will, too.

How about you?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    After my first son was born (5 years ago), I joined weight watchers (6 weeks PP), it took me 18 months to lose 20 kg (plus the 20 kg I gained in pregnancy, that came off in about a month), to my lowest adult weight.
    For some reason things fell apart after this, and I ate a lot of shit, rapidily, and gained that weight back in around 4 months.
    Then I got pregnant again. Ate better this time (SAD) but gained nearly as much weight. Once again lost the gained pregnancy weight in around a month, and joined WW again. Didn't quite get down to my previous low, so tried the whole lean protein, brown rice and tons of spinach 6 x a day weight loss, as well as going a million gym classes a week. Strangely enough my weight didn't move too much. Moved on to half marathon training, again weight didn't move too much. Tried various low fat, higher carb eating methods. Then began lifting heavy, but around this time discovered primal and CrossFit. Then my body comp changed heaps! Yes the scales weren't going down. But I actually started to wake up from my fog, and lose all my aches and pains and digestive issues.
    But then shit happened at CrossFit, and I got injured plus other shit, and I stopped going, and went back to more frequent binge eating (was still doing it sometimes while primal). And then I gained back nearly 20 kg.
    I recently discovered HFLC, and now the scales are actually moving down, and I feel amazing.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Just once. I've plateau'd on weight loss several times, but haven't regained it. I'll drop 20 lbs, then stall and stay there for a few months, then drop another 20.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Four. Anywhere from losing 36 pounds to losing 118. And yep, it pisses me off also considering how much I've done in my life with relatively little parental support - weak, me? Hah. Lazy? Sometimes. But I was just as lazy at 112 pounds as I was at 263. We overeaters need disease status like the alcoholics, so it's not okay to judge us.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

sarahelyse is offline Member
    A few years ago, I lost 60lbs by eating Lean Cuisine and cliff bars and working out at the gym for up to two hours most days of the week. I got a summer job that was fairly strenous (carrying a 50lb pack over rough terrain) and stopped working out. (Who wants to come home from a job like that and work out more?!) When the job was over, I didn't start working out again. Then winter came. And baconators were just sooooo delicious! And (no surprise) I gained all 60 of those pounds back.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Once. Just Primal Blueprint. And it hasn't come back. I mean, a few pounds fly on and fly back off here and there, but I've never been near my SAD weight.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i would lose small amounts of 15-20 lbs (small for me) every now and then by trying different diets. i lost serious amounts--25-50lbs-- twice on low-carb diets...and every time i gained back the weight and more. then, i lost 100 lbs on WW (mostly primal too, just a big calorie restriction and low fat) and switched to primal to lose 50 more.

janie is offline Senior Member
    When in my early 20's I did the original WW and got down to 123. (Don't remember the start weight, but it was bad).

Gained it back through two pregnancies and some significant life stresses. I don't want to guess how many times I tried to make CW low fat/healthy whole grains work. IT DIDN'T. And I was hungry all the time. Unsustainable. Finally gave up.

I lost most of the weight in 2009-2010 eating low carb and then gradually shifting to primal . I now weigh only one pound more than I did after starving myself on WW those many years ago.

We have been given bad advice by the government and the medical community. It cost me a great deal over the years, so I'm angry that they continue to preach their bad advice.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I have lost and gained the same 30 - 35 lbs. several times, mainly through low calorie semi-starvation diets and at times exercise. I would slim down to a size 2 and then I'd relax the calorie restriction and of course my weight would creep back up sooooo damn fast! Nasty, visious cycle!!!
    The last time though I went low-carb in 2011 and was able to to reach my current weight. A year later I came here and seems as if my body comp has improved some thanks to the PB while my weight has basicaly stayed the same
    Now I feel that I have found a solution that will keep me fit and healthy for life and it feels pretty awesome.

Timthetaco Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I floated between 180 to 200 pounds in the years after I dropped out of high school, and I've lost weight one other time. I found myself around 240 pounds, and since I was taking an online nutrition class at the time, I thought it would be a good idea to starve myself on plain whole grain bread, Cheerios, frozen waffles, boiled chicken breast with cheese (which wasn't half bad) and the occasional double cheeseburger. I probably stopped drinking soda, too, which is always a good thing. Got down to 212 and then ballooned up to 270-ish after I stopped.

Interestingly enough, I never caught shit for my Cheerios starvation diet.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast