Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How many times have you lost the weight? page 6

Shalimar is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    I was a skinny kid, active, a bit athletic. In high school I was 104-114 at 5'6".(I have shrunk an inch since then)

In college I gradually got up to 150 because of drinking and awful 'free' dorm food, and went on a diet, forget the name, and lost 25 pounds. Part of that loss was due to becoming a vegetarian and riding my bike to work.

I gradually gained til I was overweight to 155 many years later. I simply ate a lot. I became an omnivore again. Ate a lot of cheap food to save money.

Lost 25 pounds rapidly on the Breakup Diet. Then regained it all to 172, in just 7 years, on the Contented Relationship Diet. Not to mention the lovely Menopause Mania. That was awesome. Not. Got disgusted and now have lost 28 on combined calorie counting and primal and taking better care of myself. I've got about 14lbs to lose.

That's three times over 55 years.

I simply can eat a lot. Always have. Never binged, never had an eating disorder. Just increased the food on the plate over the years. I've also always been active. I wish I'd discovered primal or paleo sooner, because it is so much easier to control appetite eating this way.

It's a really weird thing when you see yourself getting fat and you can't stop it. Making resolutions, pledges, pleading with yourself, only to wake up and look at yourself in the mirror and hate what you see. The only answer, to me, seems to be a combination of eating paleo and developing some loving discipline. I don't want to gain again, I feel so good now.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalimar View Post
    It's a really weird thing when you see yourself getting fat and you can't stop it. Making resolutions, pledges, pleading with yourself, only to wake up and look at yourself in the mirror and hate what you see.
    Yeah, I totally know how that is. Last time I gained the weight I could see myself getting fatter every single day. I wanted so badly to exercise so that I could stop it from happening. But if I went out for a run I would trigger my insatiable hunger leftover from hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. You have no idea what that kind of hunger is like. It was a beast I could not control. The only control I had was to do no strenuous exercise. But that didn't keep the weight from piling on. I tried eating only fruit, thinking that fruit was healthy and mostly water. Just grapefruit and peaches, plain yogurt with nuts and mangos, a small and sensible dinner. But by evening I could see I was fatter than morning.

It took over a year before I could go for a run and not trigger the insatiable hunger. By then it was too late and I was fat. But running didn't help me lose weight, so I tried dieting and running. The insatiable hunger came back. So now I couldn't diet. It was hopeless.

I finally gave up and tried eating high fat, low carb Primal. And it worked, thank god, and I didn't even have to do any running.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    To the person, or anyone else who doesn't understand how people get fat and don't "fix" it immediately: Good, I hope you never understand. To understand you would have to have it happen. Rich or poor, it doesn't matter, you can get fat.

Plenty of people don't know how to cook. How about Little Caesar's offering pizzas for $5?

A can of corn is a veggie in many households, especially the lower income folks. High carb foods are geared to low income people, so they, steriotipically, are the ones who are the fattest. On WIC, you can get milk, cereal, bread, peanut butter, beans and rice, and they will also issue out a whole $6 for veggies and fruits. I would like to see someone get a months worth of fruits and vegetables for $6, that you have to cash in at one time. The system will lead you to fat, then keep you there.

Getting fat was my fault and my ignorance. I am always happy to hear that someone didn't put their health in danger like I did. It was a hard lesson to learn.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    I can't believe you're able to go to sleep hungry. I can only sleep well if I'm more than full
    Billie trips balls

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes going to sleep is how to deal with being hungry.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I never really lost weight, but my major weight loss ages were:

At 16, I gained quite a few pounds when mom left me with grandma, and lost it when I came to work for the same expedition where mom was
    at 21 I lost tons of weight when vacationing with mom, and that was the only time I have ever seen 50 kg (~ 110 lbs) on the scale for a few days
    at 23-24 I lost a lot of weight I gained while working in the oil field after going to the University by the CW, following E-diets recommendations, it was easy. I was about 115-118 lbs for a few years
    At 33-34 I started to try to move the worst weight gain I had in my life after pregnancy. I am there still, losing and regaining again with all the ancestral and body building know how. I don't know what I weigh now, but I have been gaining for a while.

I have never known the real persistent hunger, hunger that unhinges you, hunger that wakes you up at 2 am, until I had my child. Now it is a daily reality, no matter how much I weigh or what my ratios are.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    I had forgotten about the Ephedra pills. I was actually able to lose quite a bit and maintain 115 lbs. with those, while ephedra was available at drugstores in the early 2000's.
    Not the healthiest way to lose and maintain weight, but at least it kept me from bingeing on junk for a while, until epherda got banned.
    Oh you can still get it.

It's called "Bronkaid" and it's behind the counter at the drugstore
    with the pharmacist.

You'll have to show your ID (they don't want you to buy it
    so often that you're at home making your own meth lab)
    to get it, but it's 14 dollars for 60 tablets.

Bronkaid is for asthmatics, and ephedrine is the main ingredient.

I used to mod for a weight lifting board, so I know allllllll about it.

So, it never left, it just got put behind the counter, like baby in a corner.

Julie

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Sometimes going to sleep is how to deal with being hungry.
    Yep! I used to do that often; just go to bed so I wouldn't eat anything else.

I've gained and lost about 50 pounds twice and gained/lost about 20 pounds at least 5 times. I'm not positive, but I think my lowest ever weight was around 145 which happened my freshman year of college. I hated the dorm food so much that I actually lost a lot of weight that year. My biggest weight loss was in 2008 before my wedding when I lost about 50 pounds using phentermine and exercising 5+ times per week.

I am at the end of my rope with weight gain and loss. I've been primal for over a year and haven't seen any weight loss. Now I'm on Weight Watchers. Primal was great for maintaining weight (which normally I have trouble even with that) but didn't help me lose any. I hope that a combo of primal food choices and weight watchers counting will cause me to finally lose weight. It's been very frustrating. I feel better, I'm much less hungry now that I've dropped grains, and I definitely don't have brain fog the way I did before, but the one thing I want (weight loss) continues to evade me.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456