How many times have you lost the weight?
How many of you have lost the weight before finding ancestral diets? How many times did you do it?
Personally, I have lost weight at least once each decade of my adult life. And gained it all back again.
1. When I was 16 I lost the weight through starvation dieting. I kept it off through continued starvation (goal of 500 calories a day) for almost a year.
2. When I was in my 20s I lost some of the weight by being a college student without a parking permit. I had to walk a mile with my books. It only lasted as long as college.
3. In my 30s I lost the weight with a low-carb, low-fat vegetarian diet plus tons of strenuous exercise. After I got the weight off, I rebounded a bit but managed to slow the rate of insidious weight gain doing what many people (including my doctor) considered to be extreme amounts of physical exercise.
4. In my 40s I went on two long-distance backpack trips (over 1000 miles). I lost weight both times. I gained it back immediately after each hike despite efforts to eat less and keep exercising.
5. In my 40s I tried low carb/high fat and Primal and lost weight. I have kept it off almost a year. I have not had to do insane amounts of exercise, which is nice. I feel a sense of trust that as long as I do not overeat, I will not have to starve or exercise my brains out to avoid insidious weight gain.
I'll admit it makes me mad when people say that fat people are lazy and don't try hard enough. I have probably walked, ran and cycled more miles than the majority of young men on this forum ever will in their entire lives and I'm pretty sure I've gone to bed hungry more days than they ever will, too.
How about you?
Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.