Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D3 Brand? page

quikky is offline Senior Member

Vitamin D3 Brand?

Primal Fuel
    Hello everyone,

I've been a long time reader, but finally decided to join in on the discussion .

I've recently had my vitamin D levels tested, and, not surprisingly, found out they were a bit low (a level of 32). Prior to that for a few months I've been, almost daily, taking 5,000 IU a day of this brand:

Amazon.com: Vitamin D3 5000 IU, 360 Mini Softgels (GMO-free, Preservative-free, Soy-free, USP Grade Natural Vitamin D in Organic Olive Oil): Health & Personal Care

Now, I don't know if my levels were even lower before, or whether this particular brand does not work very well. So, I wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with it? It seems like the best rated D3 on Amazon, but now I am a little suspicious.

Also, I keep hearing Carlson being mentioned as a good brand. If my current brand is no good, I am thinking of switching over. However, Carlson has regular D3, and also, "Solar D". It appears Solar D is just D3 in fish oil. Am I right or this something else? It's a bit difficult to find detailed information on this.

Thank you!

kendo is offline Junior Member
    Greetings Quikky-

I can you tell what I use. I take New Chapter's Men's 1 daily multi which provides 1000 IU of Vit D. For extra supplementation I take "Nature's Answer, Vitamin D-3 Drops, 4000 IU, 15 ml." I like to take liquids if I can (I do for Omega 3 fish oil). Anyway, this is Vit D in Olive Oil and so simple. 1 drop = 2000 IU, 2 drop = 4000 etc. I take the multi vitamin daily plus a drop or 2 of this Natures Answer.

First year (2 years ago) I had my Vit D checked I was at about 45 Mg/Dl. After a year of this I got up to 90 Mg/Dl. I back off in the summer since I get a lot of sun.

This Natures Answer bottle lasts at least 6 months and it's just a delicious drop of Olive Oil. Can't go wrong in my book!

Here it is-

Nature's Answer, Vitamin D-3 Drops, 4000 IU, 15 ml - iHerb.com

ciep is offline Senior Member
    I like a brand called Natural Factors. Vitamin D3 is always going to be in an oil base of some sort, and 99% of the time it's soybean oil. I like the Natural Factors brand because the oil they use is organic flaxseed oil. Not that a tiny drop of oil makes a real difference, but the price is the same either way, so no reason not to get the better option.

And yes you're correct, "Solar D" is just Carlson's name for their product which combines vitamin D with a small amount of cod liver oil (the vitamin D in it is cholecalciferol, same as any other vitamin D3 product).

Uzito is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    I keep hearing Carlson being mentioned as a good brand. If my current brand is no good, I am thinking of switching over.
    Well, I used Now Foods D3 5000IU caps for 6 month, got tested, then after hearing Rob Wolf's recommendation I've switched to
    Carlson liquid D drops 4000IU (2 drops a day) for 6 months and in result Vitamin D levels dropped from 57 to 42ng/dL comparing to Now Foods.
    Also as I see Carlson D drops are now discontinued.

seashells is offline Senior Member
    I use nutrigold 5000iu. I take 2/day, they're very small. My doctor flipped when I told her how much I was taking and insisted on testing my blood levels, sure I was overdosing on it. Levels were fine. In your face, doctor lady!

JEL62 is offline Senior Member
    I use Nature's Bounty D3 (10,000 IU) and it seems to be working.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seashells View Post
    I use nutrigold 5000iu. I take 2/day, they're very small. My doctor flipped when I told her how much I was taking and insisted on testing my blood levels, sure I was overdosing on it. Levels were fine. In your face, doctor lady!
    Have you noticed your vitamin D levels increase while using it? Thanks.

seashells is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Have you noticed your vitamin D levels increase while using it? Thanks.
    I don't know what my numbers were before I started taking it, and I don't have my results in front of me, but she said they were perfectly healthy numbers. I noticed a difference when taking it though. Definitely more peppy and I don't get the afternoon sleepies. But that might just be eating well in general.

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seashells View Post
    My doctor flipped when I told her how much I was taking and insisted on testing my blood levels, sure I was overdosing on it.
    Seashells, do you know what level would be considered 'overdosing'? I have been low D for ages but my last blood panel showed I was up to 125nmoL (from 70-something three months previous) after having started on 6000IU/day.

I also thought Vit D was relatively safe and not something that could be overdosed on...??

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    To OP - I'm currently taking 1000IU tablets that I picked up at Costco (Kirkland brand) but taking 6 a day is getting tedious so in the interest of cutting down the handful of supplements I gulp down each morning I just ordered Healthy Origins 5000IU softgels. Weird true fact - it's not possible to find Vitamin D supplements that have more than 1000IU per 'serving' in Canada. Thank goodness for online commerce!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast