Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D3 Brand? page 2

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    To OP - I'm currently taking 1000IU tablets that I picked up at Costco (Kirkland brand) but taking 6 a day is getting tedious so in the interest of cutting down the handful of supplements I gulp down each morning I just ordered Healthy Origins 5000IU softgels. Weird true fact - it's not possible to find Vitamin D supplements that have more than 1000IU per 'serving' in Canada. Thank goodness for online commerce!
    Doesn't the Costco stuff have soybean oil in it? I was only considering brands that use olive oil, or fish oil.

coxodoina is offline Junior Member
    Thank goodness for online commerce!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I like Carlsons Solar D Gems. Cheap on I herb.com. Raised my levels perfectly.

hebsie is offline Senior Member
    ...IMO by far the best, Life Extension Vitamin D 3 liquid drops

The reason, liquid emulsion. At 2000iu per drop, and approx 975 drops per bottle, the bottle will last the better part of a year (I taper down to 2-3 drops in the summer, then 5 drops/day from about Nov-April). Blood levels constantly sit at 100 for me. YMMV of course...hebs

Save $10 on first iherb order over $40 -- HEB596

--------

This is another REALLY good brand (also emulsified). I don't use it because of a Sesame seed allergy though.

Biotics Research Corporation, Bio-D-Mulsion Forte, (Emulsified Vitamin D)

---------

And a great pairing if you're doing the VitD is of course Vitamin K

Carlson Labs, Vitamin K2, 5 mg

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Speaking of vitamin K, does anyone know the optimal ratio of D to K?

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ciep View Post
    I like a brand called Natural Factors. Vitamin D3 is always going to be in an oil base of some sort, and 99% of the time it's soybean oil. I like the Natural Factors brand because the oil they use is organic flaxseed oil. Not that a tiny drop of oil makes a real difference, but the price is the same either way, so no reason not to get the better option.

And yes you're correct, "Solar D" is just Carlson's name for their product which combines vitamin D with a small amount of cod liver oil (the vitamin D in it is cholecalciferol, same as any other vitamin D3 product).
    Vitamin D3 isn't always going to be in an oil base. I use microlingual tablets from CVC4Health, 10,000 IU. I've also used drops which have glycerin, not oil.
    I've gotten great results with both. My serum blood level hangs in the 80's with a daily 10,000 IU dose. If I stop taking it ( even in the summertime), it drops into the 50's within 3 months.

hebsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Speaking of vitamin K, does anyone know the optimal ratio of D to K?
    ...a definitive answer might be hard to find, but an opinion from Dr. Kate Rheaume-Bleue in this article

While the ideal or optimal ratios between vitamin D and vitamin K2 have yet to be elucidated, Rheume-Bleue suggests that for every 1,000 IU's of vitamin D you take, you may benefit from about 100 micrograms of K2, and perhaps as much as 150-200 micrograms (mcg).

The latest vitamin D dosing recommendations, which call for about 8,000 IU's of vitamin D3 per day if you're an adult, means you'd need in the neighborhood of 800 to 1,000 micrograms (0.8 to 1 milligram/mg) of vitamin K2.

So for anyone taking the typical 'online dosage' of VitD (8-10k/day), something like this LE product would fit the bill

Life Extension, Super K with Advanced K2 Complex

seashells is offline Senior Member
    Toxicity from Vitamin D

Vitamin D is stored in fat cells and not excreted like most other vitamins. However for intake to reach toxic levels, it is generally a gradual process and not a one-time event. The daily recommended dosage of vitamin D has been debated in recent years. Initially, it was thought that 200 to 600 IU (International Units) per day were sufficient. But that number has been raised to approximately 1,000 IU per day. For most people some exposure to the sun every day can help fulfill that requirement. However some doctors suggest that people in northern climates who do not have as much exposure to the sun add supplements to their diet. Toxicity becomes an issue when upper intake levels are reached on a consistent basis. For most people, these levels are around 100,000 IU per day. Even still, for an overdose to occur, a person would need to reach those levels for a few months before symptoms begin to appear.

Read more: Side Effects of Too Much Vitamin D3 | eHow.com Side Effects of Too Much Vitamin D3 | eHow.com

seashells is offline Senior Member
    In other words, it's pretty hard to take too much vitamin D

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I have a form of thrombophilia (factor V Leiden) so have to limit foods with Vit K in them and can't supplement with it even though I take high dose Vit D.

You should be able to get enough vit K in the food you eat and not have to supplement, IMO.

Check out vit K content on foods at Foods highest in Vitamin K

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast