Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Starving Cancer: Ketogenic Diet a Key to Recovery page

  1. #1
    kdatyeva's Avatar
    kdatyeva is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    1

    Starving Cancer: Ketogenic Diet a Key to Recovery

    Shop Now
    Hello All -
    Just read this article on how cutting out carbohydrates helps to treat cancer. Interesting study..
    Starving Cancer: Ketogenic Diet a Key to Recovery - Health & Science - CBN News - Christian News 24-7 - CBN.com

  2. #2
    solstice's Avatar
    solstice is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Posts
    471
    makes sense to me!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

  3. #3
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,332
    makes entirely no sense to me!
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

  4. #4
    jkr's Avatar
    jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    385
    As it just so happened, I attended an integrative cancer care conference this past weekend and a ketogenic diet was discussed by my favorite presenter. The Perfect Health Diet book explains this concept, if someone doesn't understand it. Very simply, a ketogenic diet keeps nutrients going to the cancer at a minimum, while still allowing the body to function.

  5. #5
    coxodoina's Avatar
    coxodoina is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    4
    The Perfect Health Diet book explains this concept

  6. #6
    Misabi's Avatar
    Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,551
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

  7. #7
    Wafaa's Avatar
    Wafaa is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Limbo
    Posts
    77
    Makes sense to me. I did a lot of obsessive research on cancer a few years back (family history), and pretty much the unifying thing I learned was that cancer cells survive on glucose and can't use other things for energy. If you go on a ketogenic diet then the amount of glucose created by the liver is limited and has to be shared with the brain. I would assume that if that doesn't kill off cancer, then at the very least it would limit how much it spreads and give the chemo/radiation etc. therapy a better chance of working.
    My art blog.

  8. #8
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wafaa View Post
    Makes sense to me. I did a lot of obsessive research on cancer a few years back (family history), and pretty much the unifying thing I learned was that cancer cells survive on glucose and can't use other things for energy. If you go on a ketogenic diet then the amount of glucose created by the liver is limited and has to be shared with the brain. I would assume that if that doesn't kill off cancer, then at the very least it would limit how much it spreads and give the chemo/radiation etc. therapy a better chance of working.
    This^^^ I don't think anybody is saying, "Fire you oncologist and go keto and your cancer will go poof and go away", but ketogenic diets are a great adjunct/partner to other therapies.

    The link Misabi gave above is the most complete yet most concise explanation of the concept I have ever seen. Thank you, Misabi. I just forwarded that to a friend of mine who is dealing with a tumor on his spine.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 01-15-2013 at 08:44 AM.

  9. #9
    paleo-bunny's Avatar
    paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SW England, UK
    Posts
    2,667
    Cancer cells frequently thrive due to mutations that enable them to gobble up fructose. Fructose is far more carcinogenic than glucose and unlike glucose is not a natural metabolite for normal functioning cells outside the liver.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

  10. #10
    Misabi's Avatar
    Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,551
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    [/B]This^^^ I don't think anybody is saying, "Fire you oncologist and go keto and your cancer will go poof and go away", but ketogenic diets are a great adjunct/partner to other therapies.

    The link Misabi gave above is the most complete yet most concise explanation of the concept I have ever seen. Thank you, Misabi. I just forwarded that to a friend of mine who is dealing with a tumor on his spine.
    No worries PB

    I've heard Dr. Champ (AKA the Cavemand Dr) discuss this a number of times and he's certainly saying that the ketogenic diet should be used to support conventional treatment rather than refusing all western medicine and go for keto instead.

    He's talked about how in most types of cancer keto helps make the treatment more effective and the patient more resilient, reducing the negative effects of the treatment.

    I think he's mentioned a couple of different types of cancer for which it's not suitable, but can't recall what they were I'm afraid.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •