Thread: Newbie question about coconut oil page

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member

Newbie question about coconut oil

Hi all. I hope this isn't a silly question... I noticed a lot of people talking about moisturizing with coconut oil. Question: Where's the best place to get it? Is it the same as the coconut oil you would use in cooking? Also, if I get too much and don't use it up, will it go bad?

Thanks for any input.

Suki is offline Senior Member
    One and the same. I prefer unrefined because it smells like coconut oil. Refined doesn't (which lots of people prefer) You can get it at any health food store or online - Amazon has it. Trust me, you will use it before it goes rancid; it has a shelf life of about 5 years. I'm in New York and it's easiest to find Spectrum organic.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Diane,

I keep a smallish tin in the bathroom to use on my skin. When I buy a new jar of CO, I just scoop a little out and refill the tin. I also vote for the unrefined. The BF says the coconut scent is hot :-D
    If you have a Whole Foods in your area, their 365 brand is my absolute favorite for taste and scent.

Bukawww is offline Senior Member
    It is amazing stuff...I always have some on hand to make soap but I use it in my lip balms, lotion bars, natural deodorant, etc. I cooked in it once but did not care for it <hides>

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I love coconut oil to death as a moisturizer - its the only thing I use! I buy mine from Nutiva. They carry raw, organic coconut oil.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks all! kuno1chi, I like the idea about a small tin, I'll keep that in mind.

(woohoo shopping triiiiiiip!)