Thread: Fasting pre- and post-workout page

jtrain_36 is offline Member

Fasting pre- and post-workout

Hi all,

I am just starting to go back to school for this spring semester and the most opportune time for me to get a good workout in is prior to class @ about 5:30-6:30. Now getting up and working out is no problem for me, however I do prefer to only eat one meal later in the day.

I know there are benefits to fasting before a workout, and there are benefits to fasting after a workout; but how about both? Is it detrimental? Advantageous? Neither?

Thanks,
    JT

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Hey JT. JT Here too.

You will get varying responses to this. I used to do early morning fasted workouts each day, and I didn't seem to have an issue with strength gains. However, I do a Leangains style program now, so I take BCAA's before my fasted workout. Do they work? I have no idea, maybe, but I am making gains just the same. Supposedly they prevent muscle breakdown as a result of the fasted workout.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i think you should work out whenever it is best for you, and eat whenever it is best for you, and not worry too much about the very minor advantages or disadvantages that come with fasting pre/post workout. i don't think there are any drawbacks to fasting before and after a workout, particularly if you're not hungry (though, the BCAAs might be a good idea). there probably are some advantages, like a longer burn post workout. but, again, i'd call that fairly minor.

my only concern with what you're doing is the time. it's great that you don't have any problem getting up for an early workout. but, make sure you're getting enough sleep overall.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    You might want to read this:

Post Workout Fasting | Mark's Daily Apple

Mark says that HGH is increased by fasting and by exercise. Sometimes he'll purposely fast after a workout to maximize the benefits of the HGH increase by combining both methods together.

jtrain_36 is offline Member
    Yeah I've read about the benefits of either method, I was just wondering if I should try and eat before or after. Looks like time for some self experimentation and seeing what works out best for me.

I've never been hungry after exercising, so if anything maybe I'd eat before. Does anyone know why I'm not hungry afterwards? I know some people that are starving yet I can't force myself to eat a thing.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrain_36 View Post
    I've never been hungry after exercising, so if anything maybe I'd eat before. Does anyone know why I'm not hungry afterwards? I know some people that are starving yet I can't force myself to eat a thing.
    this happens to me sometimes too. not sure why. but usually the hunger comes around in a couple of hours. it could just be that your workout is blocking or inhibiting grehlin production and that's keeping you from being hungry.