Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fiber page

smilinmama is offline Junior Member

fiber

Primal Fuel
    Greetings!
    I am a new forum member and have some questions about fiber. I have given up all grains as an experiment and have found it very easy to do. My mind seems to work more clearly and my sleep is more thorough. All in all, I do not miss them, except maybe oatmeal (the old fashioned kind) and brown rice. However, I do not feel that I am getting enough fiber despite regular consumption of beans, greens, and veggies. Not to get gross or anything, but I have been irregular and with looser BM's than usual. Any ideas on how to achieve optimum bowel action without grain?

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Are you eating too much protein and not enough fat? That seems to cause some poor stools in people and it's far too common. Most of us try for at least 1g of fat to 1g of protein or more fat. Is this you?

If it isn't you might just have to give it some time to adjust. The more fiber one eats, the more their digestive system becomes dependent upon it and it can take some time to gain that function back.

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member
    fibre isnt needed for bowl movement. full stop.
    challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Griff is offline Senior Member
    You don't need fiber, you need fat. Eat 70-80% of your daily intake as fat and you'll have no problems.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

tooround is offline Senior Member
    I've got to agree with Stabby and Eva. It took a few days but I no longer have any trouble.

Tarlach is offline Member
    Fiber isn't good for you and you are better off avoiding it.
    The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

meatman is offline Junior Member
    Kill two birds with one stone.

Hot flax oatmeal.

1/4 cup ground flax
    1/2 cup almond milk
    handful of nuts+berries

Mix the milk and flax. Then stir in the nuts and berries. Results in a pseudo oatmeal.

*there are tons of variations to this recipe. Most involve protein powder etc

**Also, I find cooked veggies are usually better at solving regularity issues

smilinmama is offline Junior Member

thanks

Thanks for all the great tips, everyone. I guess it must be just my body's adjustment time. I have to say that I have long worked on keeping a large amount of whole grain in my diet, as per my doctor's recommendation, so oats and rice and sprouted grain breads have been staples for me. I am not a huge meat eater, but I do eat some in order to get protein, but I also eat a lot of nuts and seeds and some dairy for that (milk in my coffee and cheeses). I don't think fat is the issue. I do not eat reduced fat foods of any kind, but can someone explain to me how the fat thing helps digestion or refer me to the appropriate article?
    Also, one of you who responded referred to the 'seven deadly sins'. Where can I read about these?

Tarlach is offline Member
    The 'seven deadly sins' are the rules my wife and I came up with for our paleo diet.
    The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by eva View Post
    fibre isnt needed for bowl movement. full stop.
    Full stop is what sends people scrambling for the fiber

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast