Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a Primal hug! page

Sarahrob2248 is offline Member

Angry I need a Primal hug!

Primal Fuel
    So I've been about 70% primal for a few weeks now. I still eat some dairy and every once in a while I have legumes. I mainly started to improve my migraines, but my body has completely changed for the better too. I was a complete CW devotee before and definitely a chronic cardio-er. I could never really get toned like I wanted too though.

Anyways, now I'm well on my way to being right where I want to be after years of not being able to. I weigh 120 lbs and I'm 5'2". I wanted to lose weight, but as Mark puts it, I really wanted to lose fat. Well, I have. The scale always depresses me, as it stil says 120. However, I feel great and my body is getting super toned. I felt brave this morning and measured myself, and I've lost an inch in my waist and hips since starting a few weeks ago! I'm really actually changing fat into lean body mass.

So I tell my boyfriend how excited I am, and he says, "well, you must have been bloated before because I don't see how that can be right with the fat you eat." AAARRRGGGG! He's commented several times how much better I look, but he just refuses to accept that Primal works. He is a hardcore CW nutrition buff and that's fine, but it really bothers me that he's acting like it can't be real. My clothes don't fit, and I'm sorry, there's no way I have not actually changed my body. My waist was always 27 and my hips were always 38, even when I was actually bloated.

Has anyone else had this pig-headed-ness problem??? Btw, he's eating a ton of "healthy" whole grain tortilla chips in the next room.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Sarah,

<BIG HUGS!!!>
    He'll figure it out soon. Boys can be a little dense sometimes ;-)

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    Don't let him know but heres a hug.

kuno1chi. Boys can be dense but real men understand.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    5'2'' 120 lbs. Whats wrong with that? If you feel good than run with it. Besides a woman who is comfortbale in her own skin is far more attractive than what we told to think is sexy. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat so even though the number hasn't changed your body composition has.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    <big and inappropriately long hug>

Your boy is like the majority of the people out there. Never did it occur to me that eating manufactured chips was at all unhealthy. Hey man, back off! My Tostitos chips were made with whole grains not just white grains, you got that? pass the salsa...

Also, @ AppalachianMatt, I know what you meant but every time I read "muscle weighs more than fat" I cringe. Nothing outright weighs more than anything else. Two pounds of fat and two pounds of muscle weigh the same: two pounds. The difference is that muscle takes up less space, it is denser, than fat. Just like a pound of meat will take up a lot less space than a pound of fresh greens next to it. If I'm putting my foot in my mouth by all means anybody feel free to correct me.

I know there's nothing *wrong* with 120, but in my early 20's (I'm 29), I used to eat junk and do nothing and weigh 110. When I turned 27 my metabolism changed pretty rapidly it seemed, and for some reason I always wanted to get back to that weight.

Since I started primal, I feel like it's really changed my outlook for the better, almost in a Zen like way. I could weigh 200, but if I need to buy smaller clothes and I feel awesome, then what does it matter what the scale says? I guess I was just really happy too because I've been weighing myself fairly frequently with no change but *feeling* it big time. Today was real proof. I could be wrong, but I don't think people usually fluctuate inches, so it's not like I just lost a bit of water weight.

I guess I'm just p.o.'d that he just dismissed it though. He made it sound like eating bacon was disgusting cause it was so fatty. Maybe he's just jealous because I'm not miserable like CWdieters are supposed to be? And I get to eat better food and work out less? He's been doing traditional whole grains-low fat- super intense cardio (or else you're not really working out) and it hasn't helped him much...

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    *BIG HUG*

So sorry your dude is being such a goober. Guys are hard to read sometimes. He might be a tad jealous I think- either that you're doing less work and getting better results, or that he didn't think of it first.

Don't let him get you down. You're seeing results! Celebrate!

Also, @ AppalachianMatt, I know what you meant but every time I read "muscle weighs more than fat" I cringe. Nothing outright weighs more than anything else. Two pounds of fat and two pounds of muscle weigh the same: two pounds. The difference is that muscle takes up less space, it is denser, than fat. Just like a pound of meat will take up a lot less space than a pound of fresh greens next to it. If I'm putting my foot in my mouth by all means anybody feel free to correct me.

exactly!! He said that I need to "eat better" if I want to drop some pounds, but I don't really care that the weight is the same, because if I'm physically smaller, I must have replaced fat with more dense muscle...the weight is the same, but it just takes up less room...

Cynarin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahrob2248 View Post
    I know there's nothing *wrong* with 120, but in my early 20's (I'm 29), I used to eat junk and do nothing and weigh 110. When I turned 27 my metabolism changed pretty rapidly it seemed, and for some reason I always wanted to get back to that weight.

Since I started primal, I feel like it's really changed my outlook for the better, almost in a Zen like way. I could weigh 200, but if I need to buy smaller clothes and I feel awesome, then what does it matter what the scale says? I guess I was just really happy too because I've been weighing myself fairly frequently with no change but *feeling* it big time. Today was real proof. I could be wrong, but I don't think people usually fluctuate inches, so it's not like I just lost a bit of water weight.
    Switch out "27" for "24" and "29" for "26" and I could've written this myself. My roommates are the ones commenting that my morning bacon is "sooooo unhealthy" and saying that I shouldn't put butter on everything if I want to get back to model-shape... while saying that I look fit when I walk upstairs in a sports bra. Boys are so dense.

*huuuuug*
    "To shed all the illusory rights & hesitations of history demands the economy of some legendary Stone Age--shamans not priests, bards not lords, hunters not police, gatherers of paleolithic laziness, gentle as blood, going naked for a sign or painted as birds, poised on the wave of explicit presence, the clockless nowever." --Hakim Bey, TAZ

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh yeah. I really regret not ever looking into WHY grains are supposedly healthy. I used to over indulge in oatmeal because it was healthy. It was my breakfast, lunch, dinner, anything and everything was oatmeal, whole wheat pasta (not the white stuff, get it away from me!!) brown fucking everything. Sorry for the language, but it gets me worked up to have followed blindly into what I was purely being SOLD. If I ever see another commercial with a skinny girl prancing around in her underwear eating Special K and feeling just sooo good about herself I'm going to vomit. Go ahead and have your 100cal snack sweetie, that'll hold you over for a whole 6 minutes.

I see the hold that this belief has on us in my girlfriend. She's been seeing my body change, commenting on how good I look, but still is afraid to leave her whole grains, her goddamn tofu and cereals. She admits that it comforts her (from what? god only knows) and though she enjoys what I make, she's afraid of cholesterol, afraid of fat, afraid of cardiac arrest, etc, etc.

I'm patient with her, but I tell her that even though I'll never EVER ask her to lose weight I am asking her to take steps towards being healthier. Even if she thinks the methods are weird, I tell her to trust what's happened with me. She's known me through my days of hardcore muaythai training (followed religiously by whey protein and oatmeal, a banana, whole wheat bread, etc..) and she was there too when I would get up out of bed every morning for grueling runs in the cold all in efforts ONLY to lose weight. The weight never came off.

The second I went primal I dropped muaythai (for other reasons) and dropped cardio, started a moderate weight lifting regimen and lost almost 20lbs to date. She's seen my body change, and has heard my explanations why but it's still a little too... I don't know, scary? I want her to try it because she's always saying "I gotta start working out, I'm fat" and though I make it a priority to tell her she's not fat (I don't want her to have self esteem issues) I also tell her that working out is not the end-all-be-all and that proper nutrition is MUCH more important. Some day, she'll come around. I've been meaning to write her an e-mail with some useful links... because I love her and I want what's best for her.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast