Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Obese patient gets mad after I tell her to fast.. page 5

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    The safest thing for a medical doctor that want to have a good career is probably to treat the symptoms of the obesity only, prescribe drugs as they mostly do anyway, and let the obese persons sail their own boat until it stop floating and they get enough motivated to seriously do something with their lives! And be by all means tell them what they really want to hear; that the obesity is not their own fault, that they have the metabolic syndrome, or are insulin resistant, or that it is a fructose conspiracy made by the food companies et cetera, et cetera…

Attachment 10456
    You sound like someone who works for some pharmaceutical company. I guess you are of the opinion that fat people are just weak and stupid.

In all sincerity, I hope that you never get sick or, God forbid, fat. I would hate to think that you would be treated like you would suggest for someone else.

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    Back off, sorry. You can't contradict the story like that. It's like when you tan a deer hide - some people tan it with animal fat, some people tan it with eggs or whatever. Both can work, but you can't do both, ot you'll end up with an unusable hide...

Simply mention that there are several schools and that primal is a good opportunity - among others. Give her a flier for primal, and a few other low-carb and maybe even high-carb diets that sound somewhat reasonable to you, and tell the patient to read all of them. That way, you will at least have given them the information they need without contradicting the doctor that is evaluating you.

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    You sound like someone who works for some pharmaceutical company. I guess you are of the opinion that fat people are just weak and stupid.

In all sincerity, I hope that you never get sick or, God forbid, fat. I would hate to think that you would be treated like you would suggest for someone else.
    Eh, he sound more like someone sick of the system. He's right, though. Unfortunately.

JungleJane is offline Junior Member
    Uh, he is right. This is the way is usually goes. The person with a preventable illness wants to be a victim (poor me!), and the doctor wants the respect of his collegues. So the cycle continues. Trust me, as a health care professional, I can clearly remember working in a rural hospital and teaching my patient about a topic that was scientifically backed up and proven (not PB related), and have an antiquated physician REAM me out in front of all my colleges and patients (I'm talking SPITTLE flying at my face). You think my patients would trust anything I had to say after that, even though I was in the right? Do you think my collegues would back me up (even thought they all knew he was useless)? Do you think my supervisor would? Welcome to establishing yourself in health care and going against the grain (pun intended). Obviously, not all places are like this, but enough are (but much more subtle), at least in my 15+ years experience in health care. That's why it's so nice to find a place like this where people are taking responsibility for their health, and refusing to play the victim.

To get back on track, good luck to the med student. Bite your tounge, encourage vegetables, and wait for your turn to talk when you are established and your patients want to hear what you have to say. We have to teach nursing students this too. Just because YOU want to tell patients all the info you know, it's not about YOU, they have to be ready and asking for info. And DON'T p*ss off your superiors or you will get NO WHERE in your career. Eat your humble pie for now. But THANK YOU for wanting to be preventative instead of reactive.
    Last edited by JungleJane; 02-10-2013 at 01:30 AM.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Obviously it is all politics, and you should reconsider your childish fantasies about some kind of order of healing artists and withdraw from such cruel, ignorant madness before incurring more debt. You will not help anyone on that path except pharmaceutical reps and lobbyists.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    Spout whatever BS the attending wants, give half ass advice (eat more veggies so they fill you up, fewer processed foods), and once you get past your boards open a private clinic and give the good advice where you don't have to worry about being fired for telling the patients things that mainstream medicine hasn't caught up with yet.

Most people won't go full paleo, but that doesn't mean you can't try to get them to follow some of the principles. Replacing a roll with a bowl of greens cuts a lot of calories over the course of 21 meals a week.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345