Thread: Marathon training for December page

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member

Marathon training for December

Primal Fuel
    One of the things I've wanted to do in life is to run the marathon in Hawaii, typically in December. As some of you know, I'm also a semi-hardcore weight lifter and I am a little paranoid about losing muscle, which I know will be inevitable if I train for a marathon. However, considering this is a longer-term aspiration of 11 months of training, is there a nutrition/training program that I can use to incorporate both weight lifting and marathon training? I'd like to know!

zilog is offline Senior Member
    I don't see why it is inevitable. If you keep lifting weights & eating protein, and up your calorific intake so the extra running doesn't put you into a deficit why would you lose muscle? You will probably want to focus more on the running though and have the weights take a back seat but I would certainly keep them up.

I don't think you need to be on any specific program of nutrition apart from deciding whether you want to be high or low carb (IMO the middle ground is not a viable option for endurance sports) and making sure you get enough calories.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Don't know what you routine is like, but I found last year once a week was enough to add significant distance, I was sprinting every week anyway, and added in a longer run, separated as much as possible in my routine. I was able to add a mile most weeks, and was up to 10 miles in a couple of months easily.

I could have added distance quicker but at the start of was building up speed too so wans't adding miles untill I was doing a 10 min mile at the previous distance. Then as the race I wanted to enter got closer I decided to run the distance and work on getting faster each week.

I do not have the build of a runner either, so it's not something I'm naturally gifted at.

So if you have a spare day or a light day you could do it without dropping any of the lifting, and at worst you'd have to drop a day and go easy on the legs the day after. Of course YMMV this is what worked for me and what I'll do to train for a marathon.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    I'm trying to fit in half marathon training with my lifting workouts too - I really want to run more HMs, but I love lifting and don't want it to give. I currently lift 3 times a week.

I'm thinking that I'll do an interval workout one evening after lifting, another short run during the week and then a long slow run at the weekend. I reckon that should do me, without either suffering - although time will tell!

meloroaster is offline Senior Member
    I just put together a crossfit endurance schedule to train for half marathon in May...i live in a small remote community with a limited gym (at the high school) so ican't do all crossfit things but am planning on figuring out a substitute for each crossfit-like session.

overall it's 3x strength/endurance per week and 3 running sessions per week ( i think 1 sprint/interval/tempo and 1 long-ish run).

if anyone is interested let me know and i'll share. it's basically this, but in excel so you can edit.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Both of the girls that lifts with me (and competing in a powerlifting meet tomorrow) are both crazy marathon runners, they don't have much of an issue maintaining muscle mass. They both eat like wildebeests though. I can ask them is there is anything else...

I wouldn't really worrying about it, your progress will slow down doing both, but if you want it do it.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Oh and they're both running the Honolulu Marathon next year again.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Meh. Nevermind! Got convinced that marathon running isn't good for me, and I should pursue other things that don't damage my body as readily as running all the time.

Thank you for all your feedback, though If I ever get crazy and want to do it, it's nice to know that it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Meh. Nevermind! Got convinced that marathon running isn't good for me, and I should pursue other things that don't damage my body as readily as running all the time.
    While I agree marathons are a bit nuts and counter productive, if you really want to do it, it can be done. The girl I brought to the powerlifting comp won her weight class, and overall ladies. I think she runs a sub 4 marathon. So it can be done.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    While I agree marathons are a bit nuts and counter productive, if you really want to do it, it can be done. The girl I brought to the powerlifting comp won her weight class, and overall ladies. I think she runs a sub 4 marathon. So it can be done.
    O_O wow. that's great for her! Someone to look up to, for sure! haha