Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is salami good for you? page 2

PBNewby is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Was able to find uncured Genoa salami at my local Safeway. It is labelled "No antibiotics, No preservatives" and contains Pork, Sea Salt, and less than 2% of the following: Turbinado Sugar, Wine, Garlic, Natural Flavorings, Celery Powder, Lactic Acid, Starter Culture. Product of USA.

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBNewby View Post
    Was able to find uncured Genoa salami at my local Safeway. It is labelled "No antibiotics, No preservatives" and contains Pork, Sea Salt, and less than 2% of the following: Turbinado Sugar, Wine, Garlic, Natural Flavorings, Celery Powder, Lactic Acid, Starter Culture. Product of USA.
    It may not have any "chemical" preservatives like BHT etc, but in this case the celery poweder provides the nitrate/nitrite, the lactic acid adjusts the pH to induce fermentation and the starter culture are the bacteria that make this sausage a fermented food, so in essence those are the "preservatives".... thats what keeps the meat from spoiling.

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member
    I admit that my first thought was dirty when I read the subject line of this thread.

Almost every salami available to me has some type of chemical, preservative, etc. If I could find it uncured, I'd probably eat it, but in moderation.
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

KarenD'A is offline Junior Member
    Hormel has a new natural line. Uncured hard salami, can be found a most major grocery chains and even walmart. Ingredients
    Beef And Pork, Salt, Contains 2% Or Less Of Water, Turbinado Sugar, Seasoning (Natural Flavors, Sea Salt), Spices, Natural Flavors, (Contains Dried Cane Juice), Garlic Powder, Lactic Acid Starter Culture, Flavoring.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12