Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2nd day off the insane caffeine addiction!!!

Hybrid View

2nd day off the insane caffeine addiction!!!

I'll admit folks, I had an extreme caffeine addiction. I think its when I'm working a lot I end up taking too much to keep me going. I was working 72 hours per week for a while.

But on top of that, I got into going for the sugar free energy drinks instead of the coffee, because they are cold and have a lot less calories in them as opposed to the cream in the coffee.

But then it gets worse. Some drinks have way more caffeine in them. Now days in my area, they sell them in larger bottles and give 2 for a cheaper price deals. And yes, if you're dumb enough to fall for such marketing strategies, you end up getting hooked big time, and sick as I'll explain.

Yesterday I did an all day fast and went cold turkey on the caffeine as well. I ended up with a headache so bad that I couldn't do anything, and I threw up.

Today I went most of the day without caffeine until I got a headache again. Then I broke and had 2 diet sodas, which is still A LOT less than what I'm normally used to having.

So I guess going 100% cold turkey was almost too hard. But I think I'm doing ok. Tomorrow I'll go without if I can without getting a headache. If not, I'll just have a small cup of coffee or tea or what ever.

One thing I can tell you is why I wanted to quit. It made me mad all the time, wired up all the time, and to the point where I felt like I couldn't relax, was anxious, couldn't sleep, would worry about the stupidest things, and so on. And that's saying a lot for a guy who's naturally happy go lucky!!! I felt like crap. I tried exercising more often, but that only helped so much.

But now after my first day off, I feel A LOT better, even though I had the headache. Mentally I felt much better, much more relaxed, excited about life, happy go lucky (normal) again.

So anyways, here's the thing. I hear a lot that caffeine is good for you. But that depends on how much you drink. In some countries they drink a lot of tea, and that's probably a healthy amount. In the old days, in the USA, a few cups of coffee seemed normal, and it probably was.

But as I see it, in highly industrialized societies where people are pressured to keep on going, too much caffein consumption seems normal. Also, the marketing for such products is top notch.

So to sum up my post, I am very happy with the decision I made. I feel A LOT better. A little bit of caffeine is ok and possibly even good for you. But don't let what happened to me happen to you. It's not a good experience.

And if you do happen to drink a lot of caffeinated drinks or what ever, I'd highly recommend having a good thought about it and thinking about cutting down greatly. You'll feel a lot better.

Pretty much what I'm trying to do now is to cut down to zero for a while, then just have a little bit of tea or coffee in the morning or before my workouts, but thats it. Obviously I'm ending up going gradual, but so far I think I'm doing good.

I was in the same boat, drinking 2 Red Bulls and 4 cups of coffee a day. I had chronic insomnia and generally felt like crap. I quit cold turkey on a Friday and felt hungover all weekend. It took about 4 or 5 days to feel well, but it's been worth it. I do miss the first cup in the morning though.

Now days in my area, they sell them in larger bottles and give 2 for a cheaper price deals. And yes, if you're dumb enough to fall for such marketing strategies, you end up getting hooked big time, and sick as I'll explain.
    Yes, this is something I always remember from a book about saving money: a reduced price doesn't save you money. It makes you buy things you wouldn't have bought otherwise. Unless it is something you have to buy, and most of the time it isn't.

But as I see it, in highly industrialized societies where people are pressured to keep on going, too much caffein consumption seems normal. Also, the marketing for such products is top notch.
    Actually we work less than when people lived on a farm and worked seven days a week, from sunrise to sunset. No tractors, just you and a rusty plow, and a donkey to help you pull if you were lucky. Backs broken, bad food, no sick days or vacation days or pension. We romanticize that time, but it was not fun to live like that.

If people didn't need coffee then, we certainly don't need it now. Coffee only makes you feel more awake for what, half an hour? If you get a good night's sleep you don't need coffee. And thanks to the large amount of free time we have every day now, unlike when you worked the fields until it was time to crash, everyone has time to get a good night's sleep. I work hard and never need coffee. I have some once in a while anyway, though. Nobody is perfect.

What helps me keep coffee consumption down is to remember that it gives you wrinkles. Do I want permanent wrinkles just because of some cups of coffee that won't be permanent? No. Same reasoning helped me give up sugary stuff, which also helps give you wrinkles, although I don't remember why right now. It is also a good reason to mention to your girlfriend when you want her to quit! Know your target audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik W View Post
    Actually we work less than when people lived on a farm and worked seven days a week, from sunrise to sunset. No tractors, just you and a rusty plow, and a donkey to help you pull if you were lucky. Backs broken, bad food, no sick days or vacation days or pension. We romanticize that time, but it was not fun to live like that.
    I used to work a construction job, and now I work an office job, so I know the difference. Physical work sucks, especially when you work your but off physically with little pay to show for it. That part sucks the most.

But compare to an office job. It's different. Some office jobs can have A LOT more mental stress because of high expectations and pressures. They also provide zero stress relief (physical activity) as with a construction job. And yes, some office jobs expect you to work serious hours such as 60-72 hours per week; yep, I've done it. Good luck working like that and having enough time for exercise!!

Quote Originally Posted by Erik W View Post
    Yeah, but that's still a post-agriculture bullshit lifestyle, same situation as with now but with poorer technology. Going back much further in time, HG's are reported to have had relatively leisurely lifestyles.

Modern first-worlders are the most overworked and overstressed people on the planet, and yet we're also told that we're the most cozy and privileged. It makes for a lot of unfortunate cognitive dissonance.
    The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Paleobird Guest
    Congrats to the OP for kicking a self destructive habit to the curb.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Congrats to the OP for kicking a self destructive habit to the curb.
    Thanks. I appreciate it.

I'm on day 3 now and only had one diet soda. So I think I'm doing pretty good. I'm drinking a lot of water now.

Drugs are always an individual thing. I'm about to make the leap off the coffee train myself. I will hope back on when I feel I want to, but right now it's an expensive maintenance addiction that irritates my stomach lining. I go back and forth as I feel the pros and cons shift.

I do know this trick: if you have the self control for it, it only takes the tiniest little bit of cold coffee kicking around the bottom of the pot from yesterday to kill the headache. Talking like not even half a mouth full. If you need it. It works for me, anyway.
    Last edited by Samtop; 01-15-2013 at 12:17 AM.

Caffeine is a vasoconstrictor, so caffeine withdrawal headaches are actually caused by the blood vessels dilating back to normal. I also couldn't bear the headaches; were I to try to kick caffeine, I would probably wean myself off with smaller and smaller portions of caffeine pills. Otherwise, those headaches are absolutely horrible. I don't get migraines, but those are the worst headaches I've ever had.
    29/F
    5'4.5
    Highest weight: 220
    Starting weight: 195
    Current weight: 179
    Goal weight: 127

The headaches - lasting for a few days or more - are absolutely evil and have thwarted my attempts again and again to kick caffeine for good.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life