Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2nd day off the insane caffeine addiction!!! page 3

Samtop is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Drugs are always an individual thing. I'm about to make the leap off the coffee train myself. I will hope back on when I feel I want to, but right now it's an expensive maintenance addiction that irritates my stomach lining. I go back and forth as I feel the pros and cons shift.

I do know this trick: if you have the self control for it, it only takes the tiniest little bit of cold coffee kicking around the bottom of the pot from yesterday to kill the headache. Talking like not even half a mouth full. If you need it. It works for me, anyway.
    Last edited by Samtop; 01-15-2013 at 12:17 AM.

Ghshl is online now Senior Member
    I decided to cut back on caffeine one and a half week back, and I do get tired earlier, and fall asleep better.
    I did however start waking up during the night, every night since then. And I wake up for good earlier than my alarm, and before I have had enough hours of sleep... Hopefully it's just a short phase...

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I also tried cutting out coffee cold turkey. I was on day 5 or 6 and the headaches became unbearable. I then just slowly weaned myself off it by having a cup of tea in the morning or when I was working. My stomach is definitely thanking me for it. I definitely love a good cup of coffee more than tea, but the way it wrecked my stomach was just not worth it.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cantat View Post
    Good lord, chill out. I wasn't waging a smear campaign; I don't even have strong feelings about caffeine one way or the other - except that, when I temporarily cut it out, I get the worst headaches I've ever had, without fail. It's not a coincidence. Health benefits or no, headaches are hella lame!
    Oh my bad, I wasn't addressing you with that post, I was just making a blanket statement. I can see how you thought that was for you though, due to me quoting you.

The headaches are due to an alteration in the normal functioning of the nervous system.
    nihil

Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    Why are you so opposed to the idea that caffeine might have some bad side affects? Nobody here is demonizing caffeine based on dogma.

There is enough anecdotal evidence to support the fact that too much caffeine isn't a good thing, and I'm sure you could find studies to support this. That's probably why most of the people on this thread said they wanted to cut back. They don't want to necessarily cut it out completely.

Heck, this is common knowledge for most regular people.

Here's a simpler way to look at it, of course that is if you believe for what ever reason caffeine might be good for you. There is such thing as too much of a good thing.

Don't believe me? Try taking 1000 mg of caffeine per day every day for 3 months, then come back and tell me how you feel. I can guarantee you'll have trouble sleeping, will be mad a lot for no reason, won't be as happy as normal, and you'll be stressed and anxious all the time.
    Haha, I consume far more than 1000 mg of caffeine and have for quite a while. I've created a strong tolerance to it.
    nihil

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Haha, I consume far more than 1000 mg of caffeine and have for quite a while. I've created a strong tolerance to it.
    I bet you do. And you can't convince me you've experienced zero side affects.

I can recall years ago a good friend of mine told me that such drinks didn't affect him because he had a strong tolerance. But then he'd get mad all the time, throw temper tantrums, have trouble sleeping and wonder why, and was depressed all the time. If you don't realize it, you won't know why.

Same thing with another friend of mine. She drinks like 6 liters of diet soda per day and wonders why she's so nervous she can't do anything.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Derpamix,
    PS.
    I don't know what they're doing in those studies. But if they can do studies to make people think that hairspray and farting causes global warming, I suppose they can design studies to prove caffeine is good for you too.

Heck, and if they can do that, I suppose if they wanted to they could get people to believe crack is good for you too. It really wouldn't surprise me. People are stupid. That's why you've got to think for yourself.

Well considering my mom was giving me coffee with breast milk, I can safely say I metabolize caffeine properly. I don't experience any of those issues, and even if I did, I've long since ruled out caffeine as being a cause of them. I've done with and without, I don't even experience headaches when abstaining from caffeine for 5-10 days either.

Read the whole link, that is hardly pandering to the idiots. It's in the context of real biology.

Then read this too: http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/caffeine.shtml

I'm sure everyone will have a different tolerance threshold.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 01-15-2013 at 02:30 AM.
    nihil

Wafaa is offline Member
    Interesting. I love tea and coffee but I hate being addicted to anything. I used to drink a lot of tea but I now only drink a small cup of tea in the morning (I reduced the quantity until it was something that I could skip without feeling a headache).
    I also love coffee but keep it as a treat and never drink it more than 2-3 times a week, and never 2 days in a row, simply because I hate the withdrawal headaches.
    My art blog.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The quality of the coffee matters a lot to me. I find that commercial coffee shop coffee gives me problems if I have more than 1 at a time, particularly irritating the lining of my bladder and making me feel like I have to pee continually. And it bothers my stomach. But I drink 3 1/2 mugs a day of my own coffee. All organic/fair-trade beans, half Swiss water decaf and half regular, all from Peru, roasted to a dark French roast by my friend and her little coffee company. Called "Martha's Blend" on the label.

Between the half decaf beans and the dark roasting (the darker the roast, the less caffeine remains in the bean), I get little caffeine, despite the quantity. And none of the other chemicals that are present in the commercial beans and hence none of the bladder or stomach effects.

I pay $32(Canadian) for a 2 lb batch of my special blend, a premium price, but enough for a month of morning pots. And I have a good thermos that goes out the door with me every work day. No extra money spent. So it amounts to a buck a day for our coffee (hubby's one cup a day, too), pretty reasonable for something that we enjoy so much.

I guess the point is that if you add caffeine into your life, it matters to think about quality, not just quantity.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123