Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do starchy carbs like sweet potato, potato, squash make me ill? page

Warmbear is offline Senior Member

Why do starchy carbs like sweet potato, potato, squash make me ill?

Primal Fuel
    Heya

I have known for years that starchy carbs make me sick. Bread I get but why the tubers? All of them, especially white potatoes make me feel ill. I get cramps, bloating and the gassy runs. The doc looked at me like I was somehow not quite write in the brain box. Too much sugar did the same thing to me pre paleo as did the starch and I wonder if there is an issue with starchy carbs like gluten sensitivity?

I have been as near to grain free for the last 9 months as it is possible to be in our first world but since Wednesday evening when my daughter was born I have had to eat out a lot. I did very well but for the home fries with breakfast Thursday morning, I was tired and hungry and I said what the hell. Well hell came to visit a few hours later and I am still feeling it pretty hard. I have to run for the wife, I have to clean the house before baby comes home and all I can do is keep running for the head. Gods forbid I squat and lift anything....

Anybody have an idea why this happens?
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Sounds like your carbohydrate intolerant. Here's a way to go about figuring your best levels...

Carbohydrate Intolerance & Insulin Resistance Diet For Improved Health
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-13-2013 at 02:27 PM.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Wow, love all the foods on the test..

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    ^Definitely Primal approved

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    lol @ "carbohydrate intolerant." Carbohydrate is consumed in greatest quantity by the average human. An intolerance to our preferred food source makes me chuckle.

That being said, your issue is likely your gut flora. Carbohydrate is largely broken down in your intestine - fermented by gut flora. Things like diets high in insoluble grain fiber, diets very low in natural sugars, overexposure to antibiotics and a whole host of other things can be responsible for wiping out your gut flora. Without healthy gut flora, you're going to have severe intolerances to starch because you need that flora to digest soluble fiber.

Check this out:

9 Steps to Perfect Health #5: Heal Your Gut

You can do things on your own to recover your gut flora - taking a probiotic supplement, eating quality fermented dairy (organic full-fat Greek yogurt or kefir), consuming more easily digestible fruit (gut flora loves natural sugar, think more citrus fruits and melons and less berries), and of course, reduce your exposure to things that are awful for your gut - polyunsaturated fats, insouluble grain fibers, etc.

In time, you should be able to recover your gut flora. Note that some people are so far gone (usually from antibiotics), they have to resort to "fecal transplants" - which is exactly what you probably think it is...

I strongly recommend purchasing this probiotic:

Nutrition Now PB 8 Pro-Biotic Acidophilus For Life

I use it myself on occasion. It's rated very highly and very affordable. You can try taking this probiotic alongside a small well-cooked sweet potato and a little Greek yogurt. See how you react. You may slowly be able to build yourself back up.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    your issue is likely your gut flora. Carbohydrate is largely broken down in your intestine - fermented by gut flora. Things like diets high in insoluble grain fiber, diets very low in natural sugars, overexposure to antibiotics and a whole host of other things can be responsible for wiping out your gut flora. Without healthy gut flora, you're going to have severe intolerances to starch because you need that flora to digest soluble fiber.

Check this out:

9 Steps to Perfect Health – #5: Heal Your Gut

You can do things on your own to recover your gut flora - taking a probiotic supplement, eating quality fermented dairy (organic full-fat Greek yogurt or kefir), consuming more easily digestible fruit (gut flora loves natural sugar, think more citrus fruits and melons and less berries), and of course, reduce your exposure to things that are awful for your gut - polyunsaturated fats, insouluble grain fibers, etc.

In time, you should be able to recover your gut flora. Note that some people are so far gone (usually from antibiotics), they have to resort to "fecal transplants" - which is exactly what you probably think it is...

I strongly recommend purchasing this probiotic:

Nutrition Now PB 8 Pro-Biotic Acidophilus For Life

I use it myself on occasion. It's rated very highly and very affordable. You can try taking this probiotic alongside a small well-cooked sweet potato and a little Greek yogurt. See how you react. You may slowly be able to build yourself back up.
    +1
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Paleobird Guest
    It may have nothing to do with carbs. You may be sensitive to nightshades.

How Deadly Are Nightshades? Diagnosis: Diet

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    It may have nothing to do with carbs. You may be sensitive to nightshades.

How Deadly Are Nightshades? Diagnosis: Diet
    Also a possibility - but your issue would be solely related to white potatoes since sweet potatoes are mentioned in the title. If you have issues with sweet potatoes, squash or bananas, it's not a nightshade issue unless you're combining them with white potatoes.

For your sake, I hope it's not a nightshade issue. If I couldn't have my tomatoes, peppers and white potatoes...oh man. I'd cry for weeks.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    lol @ "carbohydrate intolerant." Carbohydrate is consumed in greatest quantity by the average human. An intolerance to our preferred food source makes me chuckle.
    I had forgotten about you and you thinking that everyone needs a ton of carbs.
    I can't eat too many without feeling sick and tired too. So remember Choco, every one is different. Don't tell this person its not possible, when it is.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    And WTF our preferred fuel source? Erm OK.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast