Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do starchy carbs like sweet potato, potato, squash make me ill? page 6

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    How do you know its for you after only three weeks?

Choco has been spot on this whole thread. It would do you good to go back and actually read his responses. Maybe eat a bit of sugar while you do it to knock down those stress hormones so you can relax and think clearly.
    Sugar makes me foggy actually.
    And its only been 3 weeks on the higher fat, when I was primal on and off for a year, I still didn't often eat sugar, or a huge amount of carbs, and felt like crap when i did.

Quote Originally Posted by JEL62 View Post
    I don't think that's the case at all, but if anything, it's the low-carb folks who are pushing their agenda on this forum and telling folks that theirs is the best and only way. I do understand that to a point, as it seems like mostly damaged people find their way to forums like this, but overall it irks me that paleo/primal has come to mean low carb. That's just not true at all, in any sense of the word.
    Where did I say any of that?
    It works for me, and I have only ever suggested people try it, as it may work for them. But people will only know if they try.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    You're purposely adhering to a diet of ~70% fat. That means you're against simply eating whole foods and excluding those with a high carbohydrate count.
    No I avoid toxic foods. I do occasionally eat a little sweet potato, but my carbs come from leafy greens mainly. Where is this a problem hmm?

Do you know what it takes to maintain a ~70% calories from fat diet? What foods in nature are 70% calories from fat?

Very, very few. If you eating that kind of fat load, you are definitely adding a lot of fat in terms of virtually nutrtionless oils. If you eat a natural whole foods diet - just go up and down the produce/meat section of a grocery store and cook what you truly feel like eating, you're probably going to come out with a protein, carbohydrate and fat consumption ratio of around 25-40% for each macronutrient. It takes serious effort to hold yourself to a ~70% fat intake and it requires a lot of exclusion.
    No it doesn't. I eat a wide variety of stuff actually. Can you see what you are saying, honestly?
    You have no clue about me.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Not really.
    I do it and I eat pretty much everything...
    EXCEPT very high carb foods... potatoes (also a nightshade issue for me), sweet potatoes, and the like.
    I do eat leaner cuts of meat quite frequently, such as skirt or flank steak, the only difference is in the portion and the preparation, and balancing it on the plate with fats, how about an avocado? Mmmm... like fajitas.
    I also eat moderate carb foods such as winter squash... it's about normal portions. I don't need to eat a whole pound at dinner like you.
    Last night I had a black cherry and balsamic reduction, OMG CARBS!!!... and stayed well below 50 carbs for the day.

Have a nice day.

You eat what you want...
    Stop telling other people how wrong they are.
    And how deprived they MUST be.
    Yes !!!

Personal choices people...

Why on earth do you all feel the need to push your WOE onto people who don't want to follow it?

Whether a person is doing LCHF temporarily for weight loss... or long term for a medical condition... or long term just because that's how they feel the best and they've tried other things, why keep telling them to do it YOUR way?

So you feel best eating a bunch of carbs and fruit! Good for you. Not everyone does though...
    I think that is great that you found the best way for YOUR body to run.
    You people are like a bunch of vegan harpies.
    "I think my way is the best way... so I'm going to tell EVERYONE else that they should be exactly like me!"
    WTF?
    Yes!!!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Actually all of the people I see posting about HFLC say "do it if it works for you" or "find what works for you"...Choco has agreed to this pretty recently, and yet... here he is again.
    The problem is people don't know what works for them because they don't honestly try.

If you have been paleo for over a year and haven't lost any weight, that's probably a great indicator that what you're doing isn't working well. Fat is almost always what is being stored as fat in every case - even on the SAD (which is a huge problem because you're storing unsaturated fat in your tissues). Maybe try a more balanced (i.e. less extreme) approach and simply embrace whole foods instead of a paradigm.

It takes serious effort to eat 70% calories from fat. The only people you'll find doing that are those that do it on purpose. That is not paleo/primal/whatever you want to call it.

"Just eat real food" - that statement is lost on the majority.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Sugar makes me foggy actually.
    And its only been 3 weeks on the higher fat, when I was primal on and off for a year, I still didn't often eat sugar, or a huge amount of carbs, and felt like crap when i did.
    Do you feel like crap if you eat an apple?
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Choco, do you know the greatest part of every post you make?

This.
    "Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success."

And that's what we should all be paying attention to...
    Because your response to me above to me is way off IME and IMO.

"If you have been paleo for over a year and haven't lost any weight, that's probably a great indicator that what you're doing isn't working well."
    But this is spot on... and why someone might want to try out HFLC... and it might just work for them.
    And your way might not.
    This isn't about your way being right or mine being right... it's about what works for each individual.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    It takes serious effort to eat 70% calories from fat. The only people you'll find doing that are those that do it on purpose. That is not paleo/primal/whatever you want to call it.
    I don't agree--I just looked back at the time when I tracked my diet (for about 2 weeks in the summer, to understand my macros and such) and a day of 126g protein, 203g fat, and 88g carbs (omelet, fish, chicken, strawberries, blueberries, banana, salad with carrots, celery and tomatoes, yogurt, and a few nuts), meant 68% of my calories were from fat; and that was a pretty high carb day compared to lately without all the fresh fruit. I didn't load up with butter or other oils. It really surprised me what percentage of calories were from fat. The main thing I learned from the exercise was that I hadn't been getting quite enough protein, but clearly on this day I was fine.
    Last edited by Tom B-D; 01-14-2013 at 02:09 PM.

Timthetaco Guest
    Is it just starch? I wonder if you might have a SIBO. Beneath all the hyperbole and arguing, probiotic supplementation isn't a bad idea.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    The problem is people don't know what works for them because they don't honestly try.

If you have been paleo for over a year and haven't lost any weight, that's probably a great indicator that what you're doing isn't working well. Fat is almost always what is being stored as fat in every case - even on the SAD (which is a huge problem because you're storing unsaturated fat in your tissues). Maybe try a more balanced (i.e. less extreme) approach and simply embrace whole foods instead of a paradigm.

"Just eat real food" - that statement is lost on the majority.
    This is pure BS.
    You may have some good points but they get lost or dismissed because of your holier than thou, absolute, know it all, approach. You are a very young man and, with all due respect, your lack of life experience shows in how you come across.

I have been eating my way for over 4 years. I also have health issues. Diabetes runs rampant in my family, causing loss of limbs and lives. I do not want to develop that dreaded disease. What I am doing is helping me avoid it. Four years of test results support my choices.

I have lost and kept off about 50 lbs. I make the choices I do because they work for ME. I have done the research I need to do for me. I read everything I think I can learn from.

I eat whole foods. I also, occasionally, eat not so whole or healthy foods and that is MY choice. I try tweaks and discard what doesn't work for ME.

I find it sad that while you want people to see YOUR point, you make no apparent effort to see THEIRS.

I respect your right to eat what and how you choose. Please respect the rights of others do what they choose and tone down, what I see as, your pompous, judgmental, dismissive approach.

janie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JEL62 View Post
    Just enjoying all of the miserable twats who are saying "carbs are bad for me'. It's just so laughable...
    This is such a mean and intolerant thing to say. I KNOW from vast experience that I must manage my carb intake or gain back the 70 pounds that I struggled to lose for years and years but finally lost by going low carb. Why are you so sure that what works for your body works for everyone else. I can tell you that you are very very very far off the mark. And unkind as well.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast