Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 94

Thread: Why do starchy carbs like sweet potato, potato, squash make me ill? page 5

  1. #41
    janie's Avatar
    janie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    649
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Totally agree
    Also totally agree. How do you all stand his self-righteous preaching?

  2. #42
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,949
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Do you know what it takes to maintain a ~70% calories from fat diet? What foods in nature are 70% calories from fat?

    Very, very few. If you eating that kind of fat load, you are definitely adding a lot of fat in terms of virtually nutrtionless oils. If you eat a natural whole foods diet - just go up and down the produce/meat section of a grocery store and cook what you truly feel like eating, you're probably going to come out with a protein, carbohydrate and fat consumption ratio of around 25-40% for each macronutrient. It takes serious effort to hold yourself to a ~70% fat intake and it requires a lot of exclusion.
    Not really.
    I do it and I eat pretty much everything...
    EXCEPT very high carb foods... potatoes (also a nightshade issue for me), sweet potatoes, and the like.
    I do eat leaner cuts of meat quite frequently, such as skirt or flank steak, the only difference is in the portion and the preparation, and balancing it on the plate with fats, how about an avocado? Mmmm... like fajitas.
    I also eat moderate carb foods such as winter squash... it's about normal portions. I don't need to eat a whole pound at dinner like you.
    Last night I had a black cherry and balsamic reduction, OMG CARBS!!!... and stayed well below 50 carbs for the day.

    Have a nice day.

    You eat what you want...
    Stop telling other people how wrong they are.
    And how deprived they MUST be.
    Last edited by cori93437; 01-14-2013 at 09:55 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  3. #43
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,729
    I'm erasing this so that maybe the thread may get back on topic. Had a post with several meats and eggs that I eat showing about 60% fat in them. And fat IS nutrition. Don't go getting fooled by the "empty calories" crap. Learn a bit about how these various fatty acids improve your health, cause they are vital.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-14-2013 at 10:13 AM.

  4. #44
    JEL62's Avatar
    JEL62 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I don't think you need a "ton of carbs." I also don't think you need a "ton of fat." Eat real food and you'll naturally get enough of each. It's when you start exclusionary dieting - like ketosis or low carb BS out of macronutrient fear - that you run into problems.
    I agree with this assessment. It often feels that this has become more of an Atkins diet forum than a true paleo or primal forum. The Inuit are much-lauded on this forum as being some sort of archetypal paleo people... yet they have never been known to be exceptionally long-lived. I am not Inuit, nor am I built like the Inuit, nor do I live in such a hostile environment as to require huge amounts of dietary fat simply to provide the amount of calories necessary to exist in such an environment. Personally, I'd much rather pattern my diet after a group of people who have attained good health and a long life, such as the Okinawans. In every study I have read to date... that sort of diet includes a lot more carbs than most people here are willing to accept.

  5. #45
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Yes this.
    Seriously Chaco? Seriously. Honestly this is BS and right now I am fuming. I shouldn't care what you think, I don't know you from a bar of soap. But PLEASE PLEASE do NOT tell me that what I am doing is not right, as I know it is right for ME!
    How do you know its for you after only three weeks?

    Choco has been spot on this whole thread. It would do you good to go back and actually read his responses. Maybe eat a bit of sugar while you do it to knock down those stress hormones so you can relax and think clearly.

  6. #46
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by JEL62 View Post
    I agree with this assessment. It often feels that this has become more of an Atkins diet forum than a true paleo or primal forum. The Inuit are much-lauded on this forum as being some sort of archetypal paleo people... yet they have never been known to be exceptionally long-lived. I am not Inuit, nor am I built like the Inuit, nor do I live in such a hostile environment as to require huge amounts of dietary fat simply to provide the amount of calories necessary to exist in such an environment. Personally, I'd much rather pattern my diet after a group of people who have attained good health and a long life, such as the Okinawans. In every study I have read to date... that sort of diet includes a lot more carbs than most people here are willing to accept.
    Or how about the Hunza? They get the majority of their calories from *gasp* grains and fruit!

  7. #47
    0Angel0's Avatar
    0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Do you know what it takes to maintain a ~70% calories from fat diet? What foods in nature are 70% calories from fat?

    Very, very few. If you eating that kind of fat load, you are definitely adding a lot of fat in terms of virtually nutrtionless oils. If you eat a natural whole foods diet - just go up and down the produce/meat section of a grocery store and cook what you truly feel like eating, you're probably going to come out with a protein, carbohydrate and fat consumption ratio of around 25-40% for each macronutrient. It takes serious effort to hold yourself to a ~70% fat intake and it requires a lot of exclusion.
    So I just have to come out of lurker status to respond to this. It's simply not true that a high fat diet requires all that much exclusion. Anymore than a Primal diet requires all that much exclusion. The only things excluded are high carb foods, that's it. Just like there is nothing in grains that you can't get elsewhere there is nothing in potatoes or sweet potatoes that you can't get in other foods as well. Without the carbohydrate load that some of us cannot tolerate.

    I eat a little lower fat, @65%, and get plenty of whole foods...that's the majority of my diet. Veggies, low sugar fruits, meat, and natural fat. Whole natural foods. And it's perfectly healthy. I don't pour butter over my foods or drink bulletproof coffees yet easily reach 65% fat. I have no problem seeing how someone eating similar can get to 70%.

    There's no such thing as a carbohydrate deficiency. That's ridiculous. It's not an essential nutrient. Choco, I've read your posts and they contain a sprinkling of truth mixed in with heaping servings of misinformation. You have an incomplete understanding of some pretty basic principles of human metabolism. I think that lies at the root of why you fail to see how what works for you isn't always optimum for others.

  8. #48
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,949
    Personal choices people...

    Why on earth do you all feel the need to push your WOE onto people who don't want to follow it?

    Whether a person is doing LCHF temporarily for weight loss... or long term for a medical condition... or long term just because that's how they feel the best and they've tried other things, why keep telling them to do it YOUR way?

    So you feel best eating a bunch of carbs and fruit! Good for you. Not everyone does though...
    I think that is great that you found the best way for YOUR body to run.
    You people are like a bunch of vegan harpies.
    "I think my way is the best way... so I'm going to tell EVERYONE else that they should be exactly like me!"
    WTF?
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  9. #49
    JEL62's Avatar
    JEL62 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    "I think my way is the best way... so I'm going to tell EVERYONE else that they should be exactly like me!"
    I don't think that's the case at all, but if anything, it's the low-carb folks who are pushing their agenda on this forum and telling folks that theirs is the best and only way. I do understand that to a point, as it seems like mostly damaged people find their way to forums like this, but overall it irks me that paleo/primal has come to mean low carb. That's just not true at all, in any sense of the word.

  10. #50
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,949
    Actually all of the people I see posting about HFLC say "do it if it works for you" or "find what works for you".

    We simply defend our position that HFLC is a valid and healthy eating option when people start the BS.

    Also, there are many more High Carb diets on the forums right now, and have been for quite some time, than there are HFLC.
    The people promoting adding rice back into diets, PPD, PHD, ect.

    If nothing else there is a balance of the two.
    People need to find their own n=1... what works for them personally.
    And neither HFLC nor high carb need be vilified in the process.
    Choco has agreed to this pretty recently, and yet... here he is again.
    Last edited by cori93437; 01-14-2013 at 11:37 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •