Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do starchy carbs like sweet potato, potato, squash make me ill? page 4

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    You're against simply eating whole foods
    Where did I say this?
    I eat plenty of whole foods thank you very much.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    That was about both sides of the carb wars, not just you Ayla. FWIW, I agree with everything you said. Choco just does not get that his reality=/=universal reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    By which you mean she should agree with you instead of going with what works for her.
    This x1000.
    *sigh*

So over it.
    I do HORRIBLY on even moderate carbs.
    Not digestively, but still... that is my n=1

N=1 is valid.
    Yes, Warmbears can, and probably should, attempt to rehab his gut via fermented veg, cultured dairy, and some probiotics (I prefer and recommend Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra probiotics, I tried the PB9 and a couple of others before I found the GoL and the others didn't really do anything at all)... but there are carbs in foods that he is already eating that are not causing him distress. He is not eating a zero carb diet. It's just the very high carb items that are doing it.

Eating small portions of them, working up to them by eating small amounts along with probiotic supps, experimenting with other carby, but less carby, medium carb load veg.
    Take it slow...
    But I don't think it's critical to eat those things if they continue to give you digestive issues.

Choco's saying that one will become nutritionally deficient eating low carb is simply ridiculous.
    Low carb is not zero carb.
    Low carb can accommodate a very wide variety of foods including most every fruit and vegetable I can think of in moderation... shock of all shocks even occasional foods that are higher carb... and those foods when entered into any tracking app will get you every single nutrient you can think of. There is absolutely nothing nutritionally in potatoes or sweet potatoes that I can't get in other lower carb fruits, and vegetables. Seriously.

Also... just like there is "info" out there that says that ketosis is "stressful" there is also equally relevant and credible information that says that it is actually not.

It's better for my body.
    Maybe it's not better for yours.
    But stop acting like it's the fucking anti-christ. :rolleyes
    Last edited by cori93437; 01-14-2013 at 12:10 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    It's better for my body.
    Maybe it's not better for yours.
    Stop acting like it's the fucking anti-christ. :rolleyes
    Totally agree

boxcarguy07 is offline Senior Member
    Not to get off-topic, but Ayla, is your screen name a reference to chrono trigger? have i asked you that before? haha
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I was waiting for this debate to take over another thread.

And well said Cori.

Quote Originally Posted by boxcarguy07 View Post
    Not to get off-topic, but Ayla, is your screen name a reference to chrono trigger? have i asked you that before? haha
    No idea what chrono trigger is sorry.
    Its the main character in the book series Clan of the Cave bear.

KG
    KG is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    No idea what chrono trigger is sorry.
    Its the main character in the book series Clan of the Cave bear.
    I have never read any of the books in that series, but I am 99% sure that Ayla from Chrono Trigger is cooler!

As for the, uh... tangent in the topic, ChocoTaco is somewhat right in the sense that, among the Paleo community, carbs can be overly shunned in some cases, and that fat can often be touted as some kind of dietary panacea; that said, it pretty much needs to be in order to balance out the ridiculous and frankly dangerous paranoia towards fat over the past century. Not to mention the irrefutable scientific and anecdotal evidence that all Paleo advocates have provided in the past decade or so. Fat is amazing. That said, so are carbs.

I personally thrive when I'm eating at least 50-100g carbs daily, but I'm a 20 year old who has always had a monstrous appetite anyway. For many, many others, it's simply undeniable that they thrive on fat; there's no reason to explain why because it has been explained countless times for years. Fact of the matter is, Paleo / Primal eating comes down to one thing only; eat what our ancestors ate. Tweaking macronutrients is important, but secondary to that penultimate goal. These 'fat or carbs' discussions are very rarely fruitful (pun unintended but I'm not editing that out), because there are way too many factors to consider. Ayla had it right; everyone IS different. As long as we all eat the right foods, these discussions are pretty much pointless.

To the OP: Take ChocoTaco's advice on the probiotics, because he's spot-on. The rest went too far off the topic to be relevant.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I'm not interested in speaking to the carb war debate. I've read all of Ray's and Stephan's stuff that Chaco likes to link. I swear its kinda boring though. I think he's got these same 3-4 "carb" posts set to copy paste in every thread.

Sometimes its just best to recognize the answer that is right in front of your face. In OP's case it is that he has noticeable problems introducing carbohydrate heavy foods to his diet. Eliminating those things improve his feeling of health and well being. Sure probiotics are good....don't forget bone broth also for gut health. But while you are healing why make yourself miserable eating foods that you don't need just cause some random on the interwebs screams "Yo you need your carbs! It ain't carbs fault your broke!"....seriously.

Sorry if metabolic syndrome, fructose malabsorption, and carb intolerance are heretic speak to Peat followers... It's time to get real.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-14-2013 at 09:17 AM.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Where did I say this?
    I eat plenty of whole foods thank you very much.
    You're purposely adhering to a diet of ~70% fat. That means you're against simply eating whole foods and excluding those with a high carbohydrate count.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Choco's saying that one will become nutritionally deficient eating low carb is simply ridiculous.
    Do you know what it takes to maintain a ~70% calories from fat diet? What foods in nature are 70% calories from fat?

Very, very few. If you eating that kind of fat load, you are definitely adding a lot of fat in terms of virtually nutrtionless oils. If you eat a natural whole foods diet - just go up and down the produce/meat section of a grocery store and cook what you truly feel like eating, you're probably going to come out with a protein, carbohydrate and fat consumption ratio of around 25-40% for each macronutrient. It takes serious effort to hold yourself to a ~70% fat intake and it requires a lot of exclusion.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast